FIXED MHW5500FW0 High Speed Cycle Starts then stops - Clothes coming out soaking wet

ggsherman

Model Number
MHW5500FW0
Brand
Maytag
Hello All,

I have a MHW5500FW Front Loader washer machine. The highspeed spin cycle does not work. When it starts the high speed cycle it will stop that and go to a medium cycle, then a cycle that switches from counter to clockwise to 're adjust' the clothes.

I attached a video to show what it is doing. You can see that it is spinning and trying to get the clothes 'balanced', but when it attempts to start the high speed cycle, the washer machine starts, then stops the high speed and goes back to a medium spin.

The highspeed spin will work 5% of the time with clothes in it. I have tried it without clothes in it once and it failed the first attempt, but then it went to highspeed spin cycle on its second attempt and completed the wash cycle.

I have made sure the washer machine is balanced when it's just sitting there.

The door latch LED doesn't blink or anything so I don't think it's that.

The drain hose I took off and inspected -- no clogs at all from what I can tell.

I have not been able to find the filter on the washe rmachine. I assume it's behind the washer machine so I will have to pull it out and take off the back panel. Anyone can point me to a good troubleshooting guide for that?

Other then that, what other parts should I look into getting? I would like to just buy what you all think might be wrong with it, so I have all the parts I can replace it with and just take it out once and fix it, then sell the parts I dont need. This washer machine is < 2 years old, so no idea what could be wrong.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We would need the complete model number, your missing the last digit.

Here's the results I get:
MHW5500FW0
MHW5500FW1

Lets check for a saved error code first.

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Fs4KEMEbtAMWbPwEiFUEJ81En03ApYgP

Page 4 SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE--->ACTIVATING SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE

Let us know what error code you get.

Jake

jmargo

Premium Member
Thats almost identical to my issue. Same washer basically.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats almost identical to my issue. Same washer basically.

Yuppers your right, ggsherman can follow your thread.:)

Jake

ggsherman

Hello,

MHW5500FW0 is my frontloader washer.

I did the diagnostic test and it appears to cycle through all the steps and gets stuck on C08 (like the other gentlemen said).

I have not checked the drain or anything... the only thing I've taken a look at is the drain hose and it's clear. Is there a part I can look at behind the washer itself ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Did you check for a error code like I mentioned to do in post#2 above?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, since you have basically the same model as jmargo, his thread would apply to yours, as both use the same tech data sheet:

Post #12 is the Motor test, I'd do that next if the water drains fine before spin.

Jake

ggsherman

The motor does spin -- But when it attempts the high speed cycle it starts to speed up and then it stops and continues to go through a slow spinning cycle

ggsherman

Once the washer starts to vibrate and shift a bit, the high speed cycle stops, fyi. It's not very violent.

The time it did work, it got to the high speed cycle and wasnt shaking much at all, but that's 5% of the time

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I know.

But to confirm your motor is the problem you'll need to do that Motor Test, or have Maytag come out and do it for you.

Here's the stator motor for your model:

Jake

ggsherman

Hello Jake,

The motor checks out fine.

I did do another test to also prove that the motor is fine... I made a video. The washer is unplugged and I took the motor out of the mix. This is a balance issue and I believe that I am possibly out of luck since this looks like I'll have to replace the entire tub (700-800 bucks). The washer is under a 10 yr warranty for that part, but I am not sure how to go about this since I don't have the receipt.

What do you think from the video?
Any idea what I can do about the washer warranty? Any experience?

Attachments

ggsherman

Also on top of this -- I can only hear a couple of things bouncing around inside for the balancing. My friend has a similar washer machine and to balance itself it sounds like there is a lot more inside to bounce around and adjust itself.

jmargo

Premium Member
I was going to go the warranty route until I read that it was for parts only. Not labor....
Did you time the cycle ? Mine was on the normal 43 minute cycle but went from 12minutes to zero. Basically skipping the spin cycle.

ggsherman

I was going to go the warranty route until I read that it was for parts only. Not labor....
Did you time the cycle ? Mine was on the normal 43 minute cycle but went from 12minutes to zero. Basically skipping the spin cycle.
Yep, very similar results. It's because the 12 min part is the C8 section; where it spins very fast to get your clothes more dry. It fails to do this because of a balance issue and stops. Inside there are things that bounce around to counter-weight... Mine don't seem to do that. I am assuming yours didn't either.

The unfortunate thing is that the part cost $800... The labor of putting it in is likely a few hundred, but you basically get a new washer for labor cost as it is one giant piece.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's a good point jmargo, if it DOES NOT go into high speed spin when the tub is empty then it's NOT a balance problem.

I have not run into this problem as of yet on this model, so you may want to have Maytag come out to see what's going on.

Jake

ggsherman

That is a drum issue. Either something is stuck inside the drum or the pieces in the drum that keep it balance are stuck together which make it unbalanced even when it's empty. Don't you agree? That is the only logic explanation in my opinion

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I would need to come out to your house to see, unless you want to take the inner basket out and check for yourself?

Jake