• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MHW6630HW New Maytag front loader makes noises and sometimes leaks water.

Model Number
MHW6630HW
Brand
Maytag
I just got a new front load washing machine. Maytag MHW6630HW 4.8 Cu. ft. front loader.

It seems to be quiet when running, however I found that if you spin the drum by hand when nothing is in it it sounds like there is water sloshing around under the drum, and another noise that sounds like some loose nuts bouncing around on the stainless drum or something.

I thought surly that isn't right, so I went to Lowes where I got it and spun the drum on their display model. It makes the exact same noises.

It's only the exact same model that makes this noise though. The slightly smaller version, as well as the whirlpools, which are basically the same design are all quiet when you turn the drum.

Was this possibly a bad batch of washing machines that my particular Lowes got, or could this noise actually be normal? Like I said, the machine is quiet and seems to work properly when it runs.

Also, after my 3rd load of laundry I noticed water under the machine. I took the top and back off to investigate. The water was coming out of the "16-Hr Fresh Hold" fan, which is connected to a vent fitting on top of the plastic drum enclosure. I ran another load with the panels still removed and took off the rubber hose so I could investigate. During the wash cycle a small amount of water splashes out of this vent as the drum sloshes back and forth. This seems like a pretty dumb design. I realize there's only a limited amount of space to work with, but the vent should have probably been more towards the front of the drum so that they could have used a longer hose or something so that maybe the water wouldn't make it all the way to the fan (or to the vent grill on whirlpool and maytag models that don't have the fan).

Is this a common problem that I'm seeing with the water splashing out, or could there possibly be something stuck in my drum from manufacturing that's causing excess water to splash out of the vent, as well as the noise that I hear when I spin it by hand?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I haven't run into any problems with the new Maytags, and I don't know what sound your hearing, but you can upload a video of the sound when your turning the drum then we can listen to it to see if its normal or not.

Is this a common problem that I'm seeing with the water splashing out, or could there possibly be something stuck in my drum from manufacturing that's causing excess water to splash out of the vent, as well as the noise that I hear when I spin it by hand?
I haven't seen any water splash out the vent on these either, if yours is doing it, contact Maytag to come out at 1-800-344-1274 under warranty to see what's going on.

Jake