FIXED MHWE550WW01 Maytag Washer F71 Code

shortyno10

Premium Member
Model Number
MHWE550WW01
Brand
Maytag
Just Replaced the tub bearings and seals put it all back together and initially it just beeps 3 times every time i hit the start button. I re did the door switch and everything worked fine for one cycle. Came out this morning to do a load and everything works fine, but the drum will not turn. took the bottom cover off to watch the motor and i see it jiggling back and forth a 1/16th of an inch. the washer will continue to add water and do everything else for the cycle, but the drum just will not turn. I removed the MCU and CCU and cleaned, but could not find anything bad with them. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Model number MHW550EWW01 does not pull up as good, please recheck it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

F70/F71 is a heartbeat error code.

Do this first:
On your Motor Control Unit (MCU) board (down in the bottom, by the motor) you have a three-blue-wire harness. Pull that harness off and let it hang in the air. Close the door and power the unit up. If prior to removing the harness, you got an F70/F71 error code or three quick beeps when you tried to start it but now, with the harness off, it acts like it is going to run, then you have a bad MCU.

Now, mind you– the machine will not run with the blue harness removed, but if it now programs and acts like it’s gonna run, then your MCU is FUBAR

Here's the MCU for your model you can order:
Motor Control Board WP8183196

Jake

shortyno10

Premium Member
It acts like it’s going to run regardless if the blue connector is plugged in or not. Everything works except drum rotation

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then order and replace the MCU.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Does the drum turn freely by hand both ways?

Was the machine working fine before you replaced the bearings and seal?

If so, then you must have a electrical connector on wrong or not tight, recheck and reset all your electrical connectors you removed when you replaced the bearings and seal.

Jake

shortyno10

Premium Member
The machine worked perfectly before the bearing replacement. Now the motor just turns back and fourth a 1/4” quickly when it’s time to turn it. The drum spins freely. The motor ohm’d out just fine. Maybe a ground for the motor? Seems like a bad connection since it’s goes through the diagnostic just fine except the motor doesn’t turn over. I’ll take the back off tomorrow and see What’s up with it. What’s weird is it worked fine for one cycle then quit.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Bingo!

Yes, this model does have ground switches, both the front and back access panels need to be put back in place before the machine will run properly.

Ground switch here:
Micro Switch WPW10085220

That needs to be closed for the machine to properly work.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I keep forgetting about those ground switches, they never used to have those in the late 1980's and 1990's and early 2000's.

Jake

shortyno10

Premium Member
I keep forgetting about those ground switches, they never used to have those in the late 1980's and 1990's and early 2000's.

Jake
Well that isn’t the problem as Both switches are fine. I took the belt off and the motor will rotate, but I can grab the shaft and stop it at any point. Gotta be a bad motor

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is strange.

Yes, I agree with you, bad motor.

Here's the motor for your model:
WP8182793 Drive Motor

Jake

shortyno10

Premium Member
well it was not the motor either. ended up being the wiring harness From the MCU to the motor at the motor end. had a power wire hanging on by 2 strands. fixed the wire in the connector and all is good! thanks for the help

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good find on that motor wire.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake