• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MHWZ600TW00 leaking from top of drum

bongoherbert

Premium Member
Model Number
MHWZ600TW00
Brand
Maytag
Greetings all- I just moved into a new (to us) house where the previous owners left a Maytag MHWZ600TW00 front-loader. I noticed a wee-puddle after a large load recently but it hadn't recurred since. Then, I ran the cleaning cycle (fills the tub about 1/5 w water, spins it around and around with some bleach) to diagnose and noticed a ton of liquid on the floor. I pulled the bottom off and watched where it was coming from, expecting it to be the lower part of the bellow somewhere, but noticed that the water only started leaking when the drum started spinning the water around. Not while it was sitting idle.

I inspected the seal pretty well and there are no obvious cracks or holes in it (though a fair amount of mildew that I cleaned off). Still, I might be blind.

When the drum starts spinning I noticed water dripping down the left-hand side of the counter/balance weight, onto the bottom of the washer (photo). I grabbed my boroscope to see if there was an obvious leak somewhere but was thwarted (and laying in a puddle of water). So it seems like it is coming from up top somewhere. I ran a small load w/ towels from the clean up operation and no leak

The dryer is stacked on top of this thing so I'd like to not pull it all out, etc, until I get some help, and then figured I can examine it from the top to see for certain. Still- this doesn't _seem_ to be the bellow / seal but maybe it's detached up-top? Any experience with this sort of leak? What to look for, etc.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

bongoherbert

Premium Member
Following up - I looked up there w /the inspection camera and that appears to be the problem. There's water coming from around that hose. I haven't replaced it yet because the problem only shows up in a heavily loaded machine or when cleaning and general laziness during the whole quarantine. I've got a problem w/ my dishwasher too, so I'm going to order the part along with that and replace it,

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it! Thanks for the update!

Jake