• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Microwave catching on fire!

Belial88

Premium Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2014
Messages
12
Location
United States
Model Number
MMV4205AAB
Brand
Maytag
Age
6-10 years
2004 Maytag MMV4205AAB 1150w Microwave catching on fire! I got it for $19, and it was making a loud gurgling sound. Turned out to be the fan, I cleaned it, lubed it, and glued it to stabilize it, problem solved. Now, oddly, the metal spinner blade is sparking/smoking up during operation and the plastic around it will even catch fire!

I have no idea what's going on here :X
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
24,548
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

Turned out to be the fan, I cleaned it, lubed it, and glued it to stabilize it, problem solved
Which fan?

Now, oddly, the metal spinner blade is sparking/smoking up during operation and the plastic around it will even catch fire!
Only since your repair?

Magnetron end could be burnt, stir blade could be burnt/bent, energy channel could be burnt and reflecting the energy flow.
Microwave Sparks | Appliance Aid

jeff.
 

Belial88

Premium Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2014
Messages
12
Location
United States
well not sure if it was after i fixed the cooling fan above the magnetron. But the stirrer plate is melted/melting, the metal stirrer blade is pretty warped/bent.

Im thinking of replacing the stirrer plate, and only replacing the metal stir blade if its still a problem. It seems the metal stir blade just freely moves on its own, so i have no idea why it stopped working suddenly. maybe something fell into it.
 

Belial88

Premium Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2014
Messages
12
Location
United States
Yes! Those are it! The plastic stirrer cover seems to have melted down, and the blade-stir is a bit blackened and the tips on some corners are bent out. I think I will jsut buy a replacement stirrer cover and if it still doesnt work, buy a new blade.

The blade doesnt seem to attach to anything. Like it sits on the stirrir cover (there appears to be some plastic thing that fits in the middle of the blade-stir, but i can re-use what i have) and then you can easily spin it with your finger.

Found it for $15.58 + 4.99ship = $20.57 shipped on amazon so i'm gonna buy it there.


I'm not sure I understand what's going on, but I guess since part of the cover is melted off, the microwaves aren't really bouncing right and so it's just burning up the plastic and metal blade more and more. I took the fan blade out and just put the cover in, to see what would happen, and got a spark inside the microwave cooking area. I'm just going to wait to hear your reply before I purchase one, to make sure that this is the source of the problem. I mean it doesn't really seem to make sense why it's burning up like it is. I wonder if there's some sort of makeshift solution I could do here. I thought the stirrer just made sure the microwaves were being dispersed more evenly, so taking it out surprises me that it'd actually spark!

This guy mentions replacing a cover and stirrer similiar to my situation, but it doesnt really say what the problem was. I mean did the stir blade have to be replaced, or just the cover?
Frigidaire Microwave Burning Smell
 
Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
24,548
Location
Ontario, Canada
The blade appears to be air driven and free floats on the cover.
Carefull of any appliance parts from Amazon and Ebay, we hear nothing but troubles and issue!!
Food spatters not cleaned up on the cover can also cause arcing and burning.

jeff.
 

Belial88

Premium Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2014
Messages
12
Location
United States
Thanks for your help guys, but now a new problem arises!

So I have it installed OTR, and had issues with the vent. Apparently the last people had it set up to blow upward, which was extremely confusing as every Maytag manual says 'microwave set up to blow to room' and doesn't actually say how to set it up to blow to room (And me, not being the person who tinkered with it, didn't know what the original position was).

So I pulled the hamster wheel fan unit out, just pulled right out, and twisted it so as to blow the air out from the front. So now air comes out the front vent above the door, but the bottom vents aren't sucking anything up, even when I remove the grease filters (I can clearly feel nothing going on on both filters on the bottom).

What gives?

ps: i searched this topic, i heard someone asking if the flapper was correct, i have no idea what a flapper is, no part is called a 'flapper'
 
Top