• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Microwave keeps stalling out - shutting down

danleywolfe

Model Number
NN-SD681S
Brand
Panasonic
I am having this problem with my Panasonic NN-SD681S microwave oven purchased around 15 months ago (off service labor warranty some parts are still on warranty). We the unit it only for heating up / reheating and popcorn, nothing exotic. Issue: say I have set to run for 1 min 10 secs to heat up a cup of coffee. It will run for a time, say 20-30 sec, start stuttering actually kind of like a car stalling out of gas, then it shuts off. When it shuts off the input settings on time / power are cleared. Important, a little diamond with a vertical line through it appears flashing in the bottom right area of the display, something like this <|>. I called Panasonic technical support and they were absolutely unhelpful. After describing the situation said above, he said I had to pay $7.50 for him to talk to me since the unit is out of service warranty although parts are still covered. After describing the issue and the little diamond bit I asked him what that little diamond thing meant and he said he was not allowed to tell me. He then told me to set the time for 500 i.e., 5.0 minutes and turn on, which I did, and it ran the cycle. With nothing in the microwave overn. It ran the cycle but I noticed that left hand side -outside panel of the unit in the upper half was extremely hot, like scalding - I thought it would burn my hand. Common sense says if you operate the microwave oven on high power input for 5 minutes with nothing inside (to absorb the heat) it might get hot. I told him that it was really hot, and asked why we were doing this. He said he was not allowed to tell me. He gave me the name of the local (independent) service company if I had further problems. What crap customer service! Can anyone help.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Model# won't come up for me, might be too new.

have set to run for 1 min 10 secs to heat up a cup of coffee. It will run for a time, say 20-30 sec, start stuttering actually kind of like a car stalling out of gas, then it shuts off. When it shuts off the input settings on time / power are cleared.
Never seen a diamond before in the display, but have had some fuses and fuse holders quiting or stopping the unit mid-cycle.

No pic. LINK> Noise filter transformer #38

No pic. LINK> Fuse #33

50036078-00001.jpg

jeff.