• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED Microwave live but not running

Springerrr

Premium Member
Model Number
JKP61G
Brand
GE
Dear Wise ones,
I have an GE JKP61G. The keypad (see picture...microwave is unplugged) is completely functional (clock, timer, etc) except the start button: it acts as if the door is open. I pulled the door switch (picture below). It is sort of weird. When the switch is in the door-open position, the circuit is open (the switch shows 0 ohms). When the switch is in the door closed position, the circuit is closed. Is this right??
Just for grins I CAREFULLY powered the microwave, closed the door, shorted the switch wires and tried to start it. No dice.
Other trouble-shooting tips?

2015-04-26 15.10.40.jpg

2015-04-26 13.58.06.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
the circuit is open (the switch shows 0 ohms). When the switch is in the door closed position, the circuit is closed. Is this right??
No, look at the labels next to the switch terminals. COM is the Common terminal. NC is the Normally Closed terminal. That means your meter should show continuity or closed (0 Ohms) between COM and NC. When the lever on the switch is pressed down your meter should no continuity or open (1 infinite resistance). On your meter 0= closed and 1= open.

Springerrr

Premium Member
Thank you so much. As you probably know and I just learned, there are three switches. And the top one (not the one I pulled) has a worn out lever (see picture). Taped closed the switch and the microwave works. I ordered a new switch, but is there a compelling reason why I can't tape this switch for a few days if there are no leaks when the door is closed?

2015-04-27 20.32.38.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
Never a good idea to operate a microwave with a bypassed switch. One switch is called a dead man switch and keeps the oven from operating with the door open. You're risking injury and possibly starting fire. Is that compelling enough for you?

Springerrr

Premium Member
When my teacher says no, that's all I need. I will not power that microwave until I have installed the new switch.

That said, I would like to learn. There are three switches. All of them need to be activated by the closed door in order for the microwave to work. I had assumed this was a safety redundancy? If I bypass the top switch, I still have two switches making sure the door is properly closed? What would be the cause of injury? Also what would the source of heat that would cause a fire?

rickgburton

Staff member
Each switch does something different. I don't have the schematic for that model but one switch opens the circuit to the high voltage transformer when the door is open. It depends on what the switch is doing when the door is open or closed. When the door is closed the monitor switch is opened when the switch button is pressed down. If the switch wasn't necessary it wouldn't be there. I don't know exactly what switch you want to bypass or where the wires go and it might work OK bypassed but do you really want to take a chance? On some machines if the smart board detects a switch not working it may just display an error code.