• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Microwave/Oven Combo, KEMC308KSS01, having the same issue with the Microwave "DOOR" on display when press START.

JamesChan

Premium Member
Hi,

We have the same Microwave/Oven Combo, KEMC308KSS01, and also having the same issue with the Microwave "DOOR" on display when press START.

As in this thread here:
Wondering if you got it fixed and how did it goes for you? Would like to follow the same step but not sure if I can do it as I'm not very handy person. :) I like to do it myself if possible as I try to call the Home Service Plus (through CenterPoint Energy) but they don't service Microwave. Please help if you can. Anybody, please help for that matter. Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's post #20:

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the part you need:

JamesChan

Premium Member
I just replaced the three switches today and it is working now, yeah!
Thanks for posting your update. Glad that you got it fixed and sorry got cuts. I just received my switches this past weekend. Will try to replace the switches in couple days and will post back the update. Quick question, beside turning off circuit breaker in junction box, did you have to disconnect wires behind the microwave? we have two circuit breaker for our combo unit, one for microwave and the other one for convection oven.

JamesChan

Premium Member
Thanks for confirming. One last question just to make sure, after turned off breakers, shouldn't microwave display should be off completely? In my case, clock still display. When pressed "START" the "DOOR" showed up. I was also be able to turned on the oven. It is kinda weird. Was it some power left in the system? or I need to turn something else off? Please advise.

usawsn

Premium Member
It shall be all OFF. It does not make sense to have any display once that power is disconnected from the source. I do not think there is any battery to hold any electricity, at least for my unit.

Did you confirm that was the correct breaker?

JamesChan

Premium Member
I checked again the 5th time :) and thanks for your advise for checking again. I did turn the breaker that labelled Double Oven. At the same time, my AC is not working so I wanted to troubleshooting this so I turned on the breaker for Double Oven and turned on the AC and it worked. Then I went back to breaker panel and tuned off breaker that labelled AC. After that I checked, the AC still working and my Double Oven is now turned off. It looks like the builder/contractor labeled the breakers wrong. Gosh, we lived here 14 years and didn't know this. I'm glad we figured out now. Thanks to all of you here, especially USAWSN. (y)

JamesChan

Premium Member
Started the job, got only two switches replaced, one on each side. Looking/Facing the microwave, i can only see one on the left and one on the right. Diagram showed two on the left but only see one switch after taking the cover off. There was only wires connected on the left but all three wires connected on the right side, see attached pics. Please help find the second switch on the left side to replace. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Left_New.jpg
    Left_New.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Right_New.jpg
    Right_New.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 40

usawsn

Premium Member
There should be two on the right.

The left one only has two wires and it looks good now.

On either side of the white switch holder, there is one respectively. Did you flip it to see the other side?

usawsn

Premium Member
Did you take the two screws on the front of the door after you open the door? That will release the switch holder and you can see there is another switch on the back side.

JamesChan

Premium Member
Did you take the two screws on the front of the door after you open the door? That will release the switch holder and you can see there is another switch on the back side.
OK, now i can pull switch holder up and have a little more room to work with. Got the third switch behind the holder replaced. Turned on power from the breaker, press "START" key and still got the same issue, "DOOR" on display. I'm tired and disappointed. 😂 WHAT DID I DO WRONG? PLEASE HELP. You can see in the attached pic that both switches replaced.

Attachments

• Right_Twojpg.jpg
    Right_Twojpg.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 28

usawsn

Premium Member
Sorry to hear that. If you have marked the correct wires, then what you have done should be correct. How old is your unit? Mine is 16 years old.

Did you test the old switches? I tested them but they showed continuity as supposed to be. So I wonder maybe some of the connections were loose and re-tightened during the process?

JamesChan

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply, usawsn.

Our double oven, KEMC308KSS01, is also about 16 years old. We got it in August, 2004.

I switched one wire at a time, remove from old switch then connect to new switch. I will check connection again tonight to make sue all connections are tight.

I checked connections after installation and they are all tight at the time. I wonder what else might be wrong? I saw some other posts that people that had "DOOR" on display also reported to replace line fuse to solve the problem but the fuse issue should be either you have power or not, right? In my case, oven seems to work fine. If fuse problem, that would be problem for oven too, right.

I was expecting it to work just like you. I was so disappointed after fuzzing around for hours. Hoping to hear that sounds after hitting START button.

I will re-tight the connection tonight but what else should I check or do if re-tight connection didn't work.

Any Idea? Anyone? Please help...

Thank you in advance for your help and support!

usawsn

Premium Member
I was told if the fuse was out, there should be no display. So that does not look like a fuse issue.

You may try to ask Jake or Rick? You may need to open a new thread, so that they can look at that.

Understand your frustration. Electronics things hard to explain. I had one KA dishwasher and constantly had issues for the touchpad, still trying to resolve that. These KA things are expensive.

JamesChan

Premium Member
Thanks usawsn for your help. You're right KA appliance is expensive; not only that, this is a combo unit and we can't just get a new microwave. It also had to fit into the build-in cabinet too.

lanb

Premium Member
Hi JamesChan,

I have the exact same problem with my Whirlpool (WOC54EC0AS01) combo and in the same boat - replacing the
switches (I only have 2) has not solved the issue. Just like usawsn, my old and new switches test fine.
Details in my thread here

Hope both of us get some solution from the experts here.