• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED Microwave/Range Hood doesn't function

drooplug

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
This is a combination range hood and microwave. When I try to microwave something, the lights comes on in the oven, I hear a clicking sound, but nothing happens. The turntable doesn't turn and the magnetron doesn't operate. The timer does count down. Any ideas?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Start by checking the door interlock switches for continuity. You'll need a VOM that can read volts and ohms. You might have a bad control panel in which case you might have to start pricing new microwaves. Many parts for this model, including the control board, have been permanently discontinued by the manufacturer.

drooplug

Premium Member
Do those switches check to make sure the door is closed? If so, I don't think they are the problem. The microwave does attempt to cook. I enter a time and hit start and the timer does count down.

rickgburton

Staff member
Not really. There are two or three interlock switches. They're designed as built in safety devices and not just to make sure the door is closed.

drooplug

Premium Member
Ok. You don't happen to have an exploded diagram so I can see where these switches are, do you? So I am just checking for continuity on these, correct?

rickgburton

Staff member
There are three interlock microswitches. Each switch terminal is marked: COM=Common NO=Normally Open NC=Normally Closed. Unplug the microwave and remove the wires from the switch before testing. Test the switch by opening and closing the door. To access the interlock switches you'll need to remove the grill. Remove the screw on the top of the control panel and it should come off. The switch assembly is accessible on the left where the door closes. If you have any problems or questions just ask.
Interlock Switches.jpg

drooplug

Premium Member
FIXED!

I opened everything up to give those switches a test. I found that one of the connections to one switch was broken. There were two wires connected to the spade and they burned themselves off. I'm not sure why this happen, but I suspect poor workmanship in the connection. I was able to reconnect the wires and the microwave i snow functioning.