• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

FIXED Microwave Smoke Troubles | GE Model #JES1142SP1SS

CJBianco

Premium Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2016
Messages
3
Location
SC, USA
Model Number
JES1142SP1SS
Brand
GE
Age
1-5 years
Hello, everyone.

I started microwaving a hotdog earlier today in our GE microwave (model #JES1142SP1SS), and I noticed a small amount of smoke coming from the bottom left corner of the microwave. I immediately stopped the microwave and opened the door, and I saw a small, black*(rusted?), corroded area which I believe is causing the smoke. (I rubbed at it thinking that it might be a bit of dried food or something else removable, but I discovered that it's a speck of bare metal where the paint had worn away. Afterward, my finger smelled of smoke, so I'm relatively certain that's what was causing the smoking microwave.)

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I found a nice YouTube video on How To Repair Microwave Arc and Burn Marks, but the bearded gentleman warns at the start of the video that his repair method (a type of microwave interior paint)*should not be used on this area of the microwave.

Am I destined to throw out my microwave due to one small speck of exposed metal in the door frame?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

AzOMr1e.jpg
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
35,580
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
First clean the inside of the door and the frame around the microwave where the spot is. Put a cup of water inside the microwave and start it on high (full power) for one minute. Watch through the door and see if you see any arcing or sparks.
 

CJBianco

Premium Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2016
Messages
3
Location
SC, USA
First clean the inside of the door and the frame around the microwave where the spot is. Put a cup of water inside the microwave and start it on high (full power) for one minute. Watch through the door and see if you see any arcing or sparks.
Hello, and thanks for the reply.

I cleaned the the inside of the door and door frame (there was a lot of clear grease, which I now see is visible in the photos), then microwaved the cup (Pyrex glass measuring cup filled to the 16oz mark, in case that matters) of water as suggested. No arcs or sparks. Then I ran it for an additional minute. Nothing.

And I didn't see or smell any smoke, either.

Do you think it could've simply been the clear grease heating up on the bare metal which caused the burning smell and smoke?

Whatever the case, should I have this microwaved repaired? Is it a fire hazard?

Thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Chris
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
35,580
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Do you think it could've simply been the clear grease heating up......should I have this microwaved repaired?...... Is it a fire hazard?
Yes...No...No
 
Top