Miele G858SCVi+ F08 Fault Code

pzswenj

Premium Member
Model Number
G858SCVI
Brand
Where we are at:

The Intake/Drain light was illuminated when any of the wash cycles were attempted. Per past history, the filter in the bottom was cleaned, the wash spray arms were all cleaned out, and we attempted to rerun the wash cycles. No dice - same result. The machine produces a trouble code of F08 (Water Intake Failure / Heater Level Switch). The machine starts the cycle fine - it drains the water in the unit first, then fills the cabinet as it should to the filter handle lever as it should. Then the circulation motor kicks in, runs for about 45 seconds and then stops, with the intake light flashing, and the F08 code stored.

Miele kindly sent us a circulation motor tool for free to try unsticking the motor. We've tried that repeatedly, and get the same result.

We then went the route of trying to replace the heater level switch - in the grand scheme of things, it was a cheap part. We've swapped that out, and still no dice. Same results - it runs for 45 seconds or so and the intake light comes on.

At this point, based on the Miele support, the message is that it is likely the Circulation Motor, with a $600 price tag. Does that sound correct? Any other things we are missing in trying to troubleshoot this?

As much as we hate to throw in the towel, if it is the motor, we'll likely move on to a new dishwasher. With a repair we'd be in for over $650 bucks on a 16+ year old dishwasher... A new Miele ain't cheap, but...

Any help or comments are appreciated!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
At this point, based on the Miele support, the message is that it is likely the Circulation Motor, with a $600 price tag. Does that sound correct?
That sounds correct but I haven't worked on a Miele machine before. Meile is as popular in Europe as Whirlpool is here. Miele has been trying to break into the US market for a while now. I've only seen one Miele refrigerator so far. It's also difficult to obtain service information for their machines other than the tech sheets on the machines. I wouldn't recommend replacing a motor in a 16+ year old machine regardless of manufacturer.

pzswenj

Premium Member
Funny story - when we did our home inspection, the inspector saw the brand and said, well, I've never heard of that brand before, which either makes it really good or really bad...

12 years later, our general experience has been good enough the replacement (if we go that route) will be another Miele... if that says anything. It is the quietest, largest capacity dishwasher we've ever used, and it would be hard to go back to another "mainstream" us brand.

Tech support has also been quite helpful through the years - you will get to talk to some nice folks in the New York City area (and you will be able to tell!). Parts are only readily available directly from Miele, but they arrive in a reasonable amount of time, so no complaints.

Miele prides itself on making a machine that should last a long time, and at 16 years I'd generally agree - though we were hoping for more...

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The first time I saw Miele machines was at a trade show in Las Vegas. They looked like well built machines. A friend of mine works for a major appliance repair company that does Miele warranty. He said they rarely see a Miele machine in warranty or out of warranty. Whirlpool/Kitchen Aid machines are as good as Miele machines in my opinion. However like all designer brands, the parts are more expensive.

JakeLukas

This post is a little late but I have/had same issue. Same dishwasher etc. In my case the original problem was do to the pressure heater switch. I actually took it apart, noticed contacts were corroded inside. The rubber membrane had a tiny 2mm tear. Fixed that by taking a disposable rubber/nitrile 5 mil glove, cut a circle slightly bigger then the rubber membrane inside the pressure switch , placed it overtop the existing membrane , made sure I cleaned the corroded contacts. Tested contacts to make sure they worked then put it back together. Tested with compressed air. Problem one solved.

So after putting it back same thing, still the same error code, ran the cycle for a few seconds paused tried again 9 more times. Verified the relay , heater ,all contacts , checked to make sure pressure switched worked while in dishwasher etc etc.

So the issue turned out to be the control board. But fairly simple fix if you have a soldering iron.

DONT FORGET TO UNPLUG THE DISHWASHER FIRST :)

You will need to take the front door panel off to get to the control board, before you disconnect all the wires make a note of the top right hand corner, 4 blue wires, two go to the NTC temp sensor the other connect to pressure switch. When you disconnect that harness (st3 on Miele schematics) place an ohm meter across the first two then the second pair. The pressure switch should be an open circuit and the NTC should give you about 15kom. Open the housing of the control board and inspect the area where that harness was connected. You will see a series of SMD resistors. With values 101,2151,100, (472), 100. The 472 is the one that connects to pressure switch. (If it's damaged you may not be able to read the number) . Check it with an ohm meter. Should read 4.7Kohm . If it's not most likely this is the cause , if you checked everything else. You can replace it with another Surface mount part or even a regular through hole resistor . You will just need to cut the leads short and bend them, and top solder them. Just be careful as the circuit paths are thin and if you overheat them they may come off the board. Sorry long explanation :)

I suspect what happened was this.. since the housing of the pressure switch is grounded, when water got inside the pressure switch where the contacts are, current was leaking constantly through the resistor to ground and frying the SMD component. Bit of a poor design, should have been fused.. but figured parts aren't cheap for Miele so if this can help someone save some $$ then why not.

Cheers

Jake