Miele G892 with dead motor

Rwilliams

Premium Member
Model Number
G892
Brand
My Miele has been stopping in mid-cycle lately. The tech from the appliance store diagnosed it as a dying motor. (There is a bad spot on the motor and it, which explains why it sometimes works.) He quoted us about $800 to replace the motor with labor. That is nearly the cost of a new Miele unit!

We expected this top-tier unit to last quite a while, but it has only lasted 10 years. The unit that we replaced was a Kenmore brand and, by its like, was MUCH older than 10 years.

What are your thoughts? Did we overpay for a unit that is not as good as we were lead to believe?

Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Twenty five years ago the average life of any appliance was ten to twenty years. Today it's about half that (planned obsolescence). In Europe Miele is as popular as Whirlpool is here. However it's still not a popular brand here. I've been on only two service calls for Miele appliances and both were refrigerators. It's also difficult to find any service information on Miele appliances unless you're an authorized servicer. By the way, nothing comes up with that model number.

Rwilliams

Premium Member
Hi Rick--

Thanks for responding. It is a Miele G892SC Turbothermic. Does a cost of roughly $800 sound right to replace the circulation pump/motor (including labor)? I could buy a brand new unit (not Miele!) and have it installed for that price!

As for the planned obsolescence, when I read your statement, I thought that was ridiculous. But after reading some articles, I changed my mind. This one cites some studies and what some European countries are doing about it. Your Stuff Really Is Breaking Faster Than It Used To | iFixit.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That price sounds extremely high to replace a motor so I did a quick search. None of our parts affiliates nor any of the parts suppliers I use in my area carry Miele parts. This is a tactic LG and Samsung tried several years ago. It was intended to keep appliance service companies from doing repair work on their appliances unless they were an authorized service company. I'm not able to look up the circulation pump/motor by model number but I did find a Miele pump/motor Miele Wash Motor Pump | www.partmaster.co.uk 299.54 British Pounds is about $415. US Dollars. Even that sounds high. There was a used pump/motor on eBay for $65. (I don't know if these are the same as yours). $400. for labor also sounds very high. Labor rates are calculated two different ways. Some appliance repair companies (like myself) still use the old method of a service call/trip charge then an hourly rate. I charge $50 for a service call/diagnostic fee then $50 per hour charged @ $25 per 1/2 hour. Many companies are now using the flat rate system. Pre-Printed-Blue-Book - Appliance Blue Book I just replaced a circulation motor in a Kitchen Aid dishwasher, also considered a "high end" model, and the total with tax came to $275.00.