• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

MMV1153AAW Microwave diode replaced and worked for a few minutes only

AWSHandy

Premium Member
Model Number
MMV1153AAW
Brand
Maytag
This microwave would not heat. I got an OEM replacement diode and magnetron. I first removed and tested the old diode. It was bad(open) both directions. I first took precautions with capacitor, of course. So, I replaced diode and it heated. I only tested heating water twice for 90 sec. After I left, customer called and said it was not heating again. I never checked the magnetron. Should I get another new diode and replace it again AND the magnetron?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I only tested heating water twice for 90 sec.
Was the water near boiling after 90 seconds?

I first removed and tested the old diode. It was bad(open) both directions.
We got to the point now if the mag is bad we include the diode, and if the diode is bad we include the mag as they can damage each other.

Some places are saying this mag is NLA now :(

jeff.

AWSHandy

Premium Member
The water was near boiling after 90 sec. I have the mag, guess I need another diode. The capacitor should be ok, right? Not much to go wrong with that.