• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

MMV4205FZ What happened to my 3 month old Maytag Microwave?

mcf57

Premium Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2009
Messages
8
Location
Atlanta, GA
Model Number
MMV4205FZ
Brand
Maytag
Age
Less than 1 year
I have a 3 month old Maytag over-the-range microwave (model #MMV4205FZ). Recently, the light bulb (over the stove) seemed to go. I removed the covered and attempted to unscrew the lightbulb to replace. Instead of easily unscrewing, it suddenly broke and I heard a "POP".


I then realized there was absolutely no power to the microwave. I unplugged the microwave (from its dedicated outlet). I went to the main fuse box and noticed its breaker was tripped. I flipped it back and plugged the microwave back in. Nothing. No power at all. I verified the outlet is working by plugging something else into it. Works fine.


I'm thinking something got fried. Or is there maybe some sort of internal fuse on the actual microwave too & I could simply change this? I guess its still under warranty, but I would rather deal with it quickly instead of hassling with repairs.
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,618
Location
Ontario, Canada
Top