• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

MMV5208WS1 Maytag Microwave Trips Breaker

Dfrance777

Premium Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2018
Messages
4
Location
Missouri
Model Number
MMV5208WS1
Brand
Maytag
Age
6-10 years
It seems I get one thing fixed and something else starts having problems. Now it's the microwave

I have a Maytag MMV5208WS-1 built in above the stove microwave. I took the top front access trim panel off to get to the small air filter as I had gotten messages occasionally in the past that the filter needed to be cleaned but cleaning the screen type filter on the underside of the microwave did not resolve the message coming up now and then in the past. After cleaning the filter and when I plugged the microwave back in it tripped the breaker. It is on a dedicated power line to the breaker box. I turned the breaker back on and plugged a hair dryer into the outlet the microwave uses and all is fine - blow dryer runs and runs.

My electronics knowledge is limited but I did take the control panel loose and checked for loose connections and did not find any. I checked the two ceramic fuses and they have continuity. I did not see any loose wires or burnt wires or components. I discharged the capacitor and checked the OHMS with a digital meter and found OHMS ticked up to around 11.7 or 10.83 (depending if black lead on top or red lead on top capacitor) and stayed at that reading until I removed the leads. Microwave tripped the breaker when the breaker is turned on whether the door was closed or open. Apparently something in the microwave electronics (when even just the clock was on) was causing a short or the breaker to trip. No error messages ever displayed on the microwave digital panel.

As one last try I plugged the microwave into an extension cord and plugged it into a different outlet and something in the microwave popped and a small amount of smoke whiffed out of the microwave where the electrical components are. I cannot find what may have popped - no signs of a burnt wire, component, etc. Ceramic fuses still have continuity. Also it did not trip the breaker the microwave was plugged into when something in the microwave popped.

I plugged the microwave back into the dedicated outlet and turned the breaker on - it did not trip the breaker but nothing on the microwave works. So I suppose what was causing it to trip the breaker before maybe had a short in it and tripped the breaker but now totally blew not causing any load at all on the breaker?

I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. I don't want to start ordering parts and have shotgun replacing numerous components - especially if the cost will outweigh the advantages of just replacing the microwave. Any help you can provide is much appreciated. Thank you
 
Top