• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)
  • Important Announcement

It's with sad news to announce that our site owner, Jake, has passed away. You can read the details here.

model:ARB2109 cycle of buzzing then click

leadfinder

Premium Member
* Background:
Amana, bottom freezer, unit is again making several cycles of nnnnnnnnyet, nnnnnnnnnyet buzz sounds at the bottom rear followed by a click and then silence for several minutes.

A month ago I replaced the overload relay after ignoring this sound (thought it was something else and we'd been out of town) and the unit stopped cooling. The starting capacitor measured OK and fridge has worked until now.

Fan in bottom back spins and air flows from freezer air inlet, but it's not cold.
Top of compressor is too hot to leave hand on even after unplugging fridge for 15min.
Refrigerant is 134a.

* Question:
So is this likely to be the compressor?
If so is it worth repairing and the work likely to be done reliably? Unit is Stainless steel, no icemaker, single door on top and bottom and comparable Kenmore/Whirlpool replacements look to be at least $1300 new.

Thanks much for your help. This forum is absolutely wonderful!

Yes, your compressor is bad.

How old is your model?

If you don't know, post the serial# and I can tell you.

You have a 5 yr. parts and labor warranty on the compressor from Amana.

Jake

More info:
I just measured the compressor coil resistances. Around 5 ohms. No opens or shorts to chassis ground. Overload relay assembly doesn't "rattle" if shaken.

So could I have gotten a short-lived replacement "overload relay" or is this more likely to be the compressor?
Thanks again.

Yes, your compressor is bad.

How old is your model?

If you don't know, post the serial# and I can tell you.

You have a 5 yr. parts and labor warranty on the compressor from Amana.

Jake

Sorry, I meant to include that. About nine years!
Manufacturer pn PARB2109AS3.
serial number: 0110187507

Any chance this one has the 10year warranty?
Thanks!

Yes, its definitely the compressor thats bad.

Nope, I checked the warranty on your model, its only 5 yrs.

Having a new compressor installed will be about $400-$600.

Jake

Users who are viewing this thread

Support Our Site

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation, please consider making a donation.

Back