• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Model: WZF56R16DW01 Whirlpool upright freezer power alarm going off

Mike Hostettler

Premium Member
Model Number
WZF56R16DW01
Brand
Whirlpool
Model: WZF56R16DW01 Whirlpool upright freezer power alarm going off. We have had this freezer for 3 years. About 6 months ago we would randomly hear a chime coming from the freezer. I unplugged it to investigate and the sound/melody it makes when the freezer is powered back on played. That is the sound it makes every few hours. Items stay frozen. I am just wondering if this is telling me something is going. It is definitely not the high temperature alarm or the door ajar alarm. Anyone else have this problem?

Nitram987

Premium Member
It may very well be the control board being inadvertently affected by noise it's picking up on the wires feeding the rather distant alarm piezo (which on my WZF79R20DW upright freezer happens to be located at the bottom right rear of the chassis behind its cardboard shield). You need to find Technical Service Pointer W10854827 which lightly describes this, and then install W10861568 (which currently supersedes W10846247).

After many months of bewilderment, THIS WORKS! Who would have guessed that these wires, running along side many other wires within the freezer's interior would create such a problem (and I'm an electrical engineer). The tune will be the same tune that you can recreate by manually turning off then on its cooling function via the interior "Temp Setting, Cooling ON/OFF" button for 3 seconds. Yes it does seem to coincide with the end of a compressor cycle, but that is only because any off/on cooling command to the control board begins with the compressor turning off for some minutes (which is a normal programmed-in period to protect its compressor).

You will notice that if you unplugged and plugged back in the freezer, it will produce a different tune. Don't confuse your problem with that and think that you have a mains power problem. As mentioned above, if the tune is the same tune that you hear by manually turning off then on its cooling function, that's the noise on the wires causing the control board to think you want it to turn cooling off then on again. It's a darn good thing that it at least defaults to turning the cooling back on!!!

Mike Hostettler

Premium Member
Thank you. I have determined the happens exactly every 1 hour and 26 minutes. I have timed this multiple times throughout the day.

Do you know if it is harmful if we do nothing? Whirlpool wants to send out a tech to fix it at something like $90 an hour.

Nitram987

Premium Member
Happening regularly, exactly every 1 hour and 26 minutes may mean that it is not the noise issue I wrote about. The events I describe caused by noise picked up by the wires to the remote piezo alarm happen quite randomly 3 to 9 times per day/night in my case. But, still, if what you describe is being caused by similar noise entering the control board, that noise is large enough to confuse the control board, meaning that any number of random results could occur in the future, including complete board failure, and/or permanent shut down of the freezer's cooling. You do not want noise entering any control board electronics. And you don't want your freezer being shut down regularly -- it's hard on everything, and could reduce its lifespan. For all of these reasons, once I discovered its cause, I acted quickly. And because it took months to discover what was causing the problem, I felt compelled to broadcast my good luck.

The solution Whirlpool offers in its W10861568 kit (it comes with an illustrated instruction sheet attached) is to disconnect the wires to the remote piezo alarm right at the control board and to hook up the new provided piezo with its short wires and connector, and place it in the control board housing (i.e. the enclosure inside the freezer where you see LEDs and the "Temp Setting, Cooling ON/OFF" button or similar). The housing comes off very easily with 2 Phillips screws, and is a very quick install.

If your failure is caused by noise on these wires, then I would recommend resolving it.

Attachments

• instructionsheet-w10861569-reva.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 365

Nitram987

Premium Member
Hi Mike. You are on to something with your regularly recorded time between melodies. The solution that Whirlpool offers in its W10861568 kit, as it turns out, DID NOT RESOLVE my melody issue in the long run. I apologize for the "THIS WORKS!" previously -- it was premature. So, moving on, I proceeded to place a wireless temperature monitor inside the freezer to record what was going on inside. I observed that the freezer worked quite hard for a long time to reach -20C/-4F before turning its cooling off and issuing the melody. I thought "Is this being caused by an overheated compressor -- it sure was hot". So, I removed the cardboard from the bottom rear of the freezer and directed a fan right onto the hot compressor to eliminate the possibility of the compressor's internal overload (overheat) tripping itself and the controller board sensing it, turning cooling off and issuing a melody. The compressor is now only warm to the touch, instead of unbearably hot before. But, still I got the melodies so it's not being caused by an overheated compressor. I looked at my freezer's internal temperature readings once again. With the compressor running more efficiently now at its better operating temperature, the freezer heads down all the way to -24C/-11.2F before turning the cooling off again and playing its melody at 1hr and 26 minutes, just like you observed Mike. So, it seems the controller board is programmed to shut cooling off and issue a melody an hour and 26 minutes after continually trying to cool down to whatever temperature it's heading for. Readers will ask 'Do you have a bad thermostat?' -- well, it works fine for turning cooling back on at -16C/3F, so I opted to leave it alone. Meanwhile, my internal temperatures of -24C/-11F to -16C/3F includes the standard -17.8C/0 F target for freezers. A bit cool on average, but good just the same. Then, as far as timing goes, it takes about 2 hours for the freezer to climb from -24C/-11F back up to -16C/3F where it turns its compressor back on. So I should hear this melody every 2 hours + 1hr 26 minutes => approximately every 3-1/2 hours. Yes, this is annoying but I can live with it. The fan-assisted compressor should last longer (I hooked the fan into the compressor's red and white wires -- it runs only when the compressor runs). Hopefully this freezer will last a few more years now beyond its current young 4 years.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching that service pointer below.

Whirlpool Vertical Freezers and Refrigerators--->Unit Turns Off Without User Input

Models:
WSR57R18D*
WZF56R16DW
WZF79R20DW
WSZ57L18D*
WZF79R18DM
WZZ73L18DM
Serial Numbers: U436 – U552
Possible Concern: Some consumers may have a concern that their vertical freezer or refrigerator has turned off on its own.
Potential Cause: Under varying circumstances it is possible that electrical noise between the alarm buzzer and cabinet harness may cause the unit to turn off.
Correction: Order and install Service Kit W10846247 using instructions in kit.

Since this service bulletin came out in 2016, The manufacturer has replaced part number W10846247 with part number W10861568

Yes, just to clarify, this service bulletin deals with the UNIT TURNING OFF Under varying circumstances.:)

It does not address the melody, or chime if you will.:)

Jake

Attachments

• servicepointer-w10854827.pdf
    216.6 KB · Views: 246

Nitram987

Premium Member
Hi Jake. Looking at your credentials, do you have any professional insight into the chiming/freezer cooling turning off? There are folks out here, on this and other blogs, scratching our heads. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Not a clue, I even looked in the owners manual, it ONLY mentioned a OVER THE TEMP alert.

Jake

Nitram987

Premium Member
Stay tuned. My cabinet (not the defrost) thermistor/"temperature sensor" WPW10384183 for my Whirlpool upright WZF79R20DW freezer measured:
  • 3K ohms at room temperature (correct)
  • less than 2K ohms at human body temperature (correct)
  • but just 12K ohms at -20C/-4F (INCORRECT!).
If I have the correct resistance charts for that thermistor, the freezer thinks that it is only getting down to -5.5C/22F. That would explain its long, too-low-of-a-temperature cooling cycle and then it shutting off its cooling and issuing a melody after a programmed-in preset time interval. Stay tuned -- it'll take me over a week to get and install a new thermistor. I so want to solve this.

Billyboyz

Premium Member
Hi Mike Nitrate 987 & Jake!...I have the same upright whirlpool freezer...5 yrs old...melody every 1 hr. & 26 minutes.Has this problem been solved?..I will also tell u...had the repair boys out...cuz this also happened a couple yrs ago..so I contacted Whirlpool...they ended up...believe or not...replacing the door!..Problem solved...temporarily...couple yrs later...here we go..again?..I await ur response!..ty...Bill

Matt321

Hi guys, I seem to have the same problem here… WSZ57L18D upright freezer, probably 5 years old, making the same music as if I was turning it off and on… randomly… during the night… waking up my girlfriend… I looked at the service pointer above (about the unit turning off by itself…thank you Jake) and decided to unplug the buzzer from the control assembly. I guess problem solved ! Any harm in leaving it that way ? Any update on what is causing the alarm?

Nitram987

Premium Member
The replacement thermistor that I received had the same resistance measurements as the old one did -- it did not solve the melodies. So, I'm out of troubleshooting and repair ideas now. I can only say that these melodies are coincident with the controller temporarily shutting off the freezer's cooling mode, after an excessively long period of time cooling. The important thing is that my food is being kept cold (if not excessively cold).

Meanwhile, the AC Infinity Axial 1225 fan that I wired into the compressor's power lines, and that I affixed next to the compressor, is keeping the compressor from overheating, and will likely extend its life. And a wireless temperature monitoring system that I bought is allowing me to verify that the freezer is keeping my food between -24C/-11F and -16C/3F. Enough done. I have learned to tolerate the muffled melodies (coming from the interior of the freezer now) so that I can still hear any other alarms that may crop up in the future.

Billyboyz

Premium Member
Hi!...still going off...every 1:26....the best fix..could b...unplugging the horn...as Matt321 suggested...??...hard 2 believe..we cant fix this...properly!...Good Luck!..👍

Fish-man

Premium Member
Hoping for a clue here. I just found out that my freezer (WZF57R16FW) ~5y old- has been the culprit in the beeping coming from the basement. We've heard this for a few weeks, but could not pinpoint the freezer, as there are several electrical appliances down there. I sat down there for a bit today and sure enough, the freezer played a 5-6? beep tune when the compressor shut off. I only heard this up close the one time today, as it was very muffled from upstairs. If I unplug and plug back in -it makes either same or similar tune. I've not timed it or taken internal temps or anything.... yet.

Fish-man

Premium Member
TTT... with small update. I verified the beep/song/jingle is the same at the 2 events: @end of compressor cycle and @plug-in. It is not an alarm, as it does not stay on/repeat on short intervals. Its a 6 tone beep that happens once then stops. The freezer is keeping food nicely frozen. There is no ice build up inside the unit (that I can see w/o removing panels). I looked behind the cardboard cover on the back, and its all very clean there. Door seals up fine. Cannot find anything else online about it.

Sdwat65

TTT... with small update. I verified the beep/song/jingle is the same at the 2 events: @end of compressor cycle and @plug-in. It is not an alarm, as it does not stay on/repeat on short intervals. Its a 6 tone beep that happens once then stops. The freezer is keeping food nicely frozen. There is no ice build up inside the unit (that I can see w/o removing panels). I looked behind the cardboard cover on the back, and its all very clean there. Door seals up fine. Cannot find anything else online about it.
This puzzle has been solved.
UNPLUG THE FREEZER 1st, then...
...Remove the cardboard cover on the back, at the bottom of the freezer.
...Just inside the cavity/opening, look for a black wire, and a red wire, on the lower left corner. Those wires go to a speaker that is out of sight:
Resized_20220227_181956.jpegResized_20220227_181230.jpeg
This is your culprit.

I cut both the black and red wire going to this, and put a wire nut on the end of each.
...Plugged freezer back in, and triggered the compressor to kick in. Waited until it finished.
...Freezer works fine, and neither power on or compressor off/on chimes.
...Put cardboard cover back on.
Enjoy your new peace and quiet.

Related info...spoke with a Whirlpool tech 2 days ago, and he was flummoxed as to why there is no longer a repair manual or wiring diagram for this specific freezer. I gave him the link to this thread, and he was even more mystified.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.