FIXED Monogram ZISS480DRASS refrigerator running warm

jane66ann

Premium Member
Model Number
ZISS480DRASS
Brand
GE
We have a Monogram ZISS480DRASS side-by-side refrigerator that is running constantly yet is not as cool as it should be. We have been on vacation so I'm unsure how long the refrigerator has been on the fritz. The freezer compartment warmed to about 13 degrees, the frig was up to about 55 degrees. I found the tech manual online and ran down the list of diagnostics. Which included a system reset and temperature control board reset. All the other diagnostics showed the unit was working correctly. After running the diagnostics things cooled down but won't go lower than 7 degrees in the freezer and 47 degrees in the frig. I also powered down the refrigerator for over 30 minutes and then turned it back on.

It sounds like a fan is running constantly and we could hear the compressor today.

We replaced all 3 thermistors two years ago when the frig began freezing everything in the bottom drawers.

I'm thinking that changing the main control board may fix the problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the parts diagram for your model:

So before you went on vacation it was all working fine?

How is it doing this morning?

Any frost build-up on the back panel inside the freezer? All the fans and compressor still running?

Jake

jane66ann

Premium Member
Yes, it was working fine before we went on vacation. Granted, we were gone for nearly a month. The person housesitting didn't notice that it was making noise constantly. I noticed it almost immediately when we got home because I'm familiar with the refrigerator.

This morning the frig is at 45 degrees and the freezer is -6 degrees. I have a thermometer to verify the actual temperatures.

There is no frost build-up in the freezer. It looks normal in there. All the fans and compressor are currently running.

Jane

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jane, I didn't know anyone was house sitting. The person house sitting my have left one of the doors open accidentally for a long period of time, and that would cause condensation and frost to start forming in your air return ducts.

You said it got better when you unplugged 30 minutes. This time I'd unplug it for 24 hours with the doors open to let any frost in the air ducts defrost.

Jake

jane66ann

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. We turned the refrigerator off overnight. We turned it back on and the temps have been within an acceptable range since then.

Jane

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Jane, glad to hear that. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake