• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Montgomery Wards Ice Maker Questions for a newbie!

atvguy

Premium Member
imported post

:? :shock:Help Please!!! I have a Montgomery Wards Refrigerator that has an icemaker built in. It is the old flex type tray system. I just moved into the house, and want to see if the icemaker works, but I don't know where to start. The regrig has been working fine. The icemaker is not connected to a water supply, but one is handy. I have never heard the icemaker try to do anything (although I don't know what I would expect to hear!) What is an easy way to see if the ice maker will work. I am not mechanically inclined at all. Hooking up the water supply is no problem, but what do I do next? Thanks for your help!!!!

Model # is HMG19282

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

Won't tell you if "everything" is working....but you will need to make sure the freezer temp is cold enough ( below 15ºF ) for the icemaker and make sure the metal wand arm is in the down ( on ) position and the icemaker -should- go through it's motions and you -might- hear a buzzzzzz noise for approx 6-8 seconds from the fill valve when the icemaker is calling for water.

jeff.

atvguy

Premium Member
imported post

:X A follow up question to my oroginal question, (thanks Jeff) for your help!!!

We need to try to keep the same appliance subject on the 1st topic you started.:cool:

I will join this post to your original topic, Thanks.:)

My new question is that I have hooked up the water supply and moved the metal arm....all seems to work, except that when the water is supposed to be released into the tray, it comes out on the floor instead. No water makes it to the tray, and you can tell that it is a "measured" amount of water as opposed to a constant leak!! Any Ideas!!! Thanks!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

When i worked at The Montgomery Ward Service Dept. I saw this happen alot.

You have a broken plastic water line that goes from the water valve up to the ice maker inlet on the refrigerator back.

You can take off the lower back access panel, and you should see it on the right side as your facing the back of the refrigerator.

All you will need is a new plastic tubing, you can buy that at any appliance parts store or a hardware store, like Home Depot, Lowe's, Jerry's here in Eugene/Springfield, Oregon. Its 1/4" plastic tubing, save the screw on nuts, you can use them on the new tubing.:cool:

Jake

atvguy

Premium Member
imported post

Jake wrote:
All you will need is a new plastic tubing, you can buy that at any appliance parts store or a hardware store, like Home Depot, Lowe's, Jerry's. Its 1/4" plastic tubing, save the screw on nuts, you can use them on the new tubing.
Thanks! I will go get some tubing tomorrow and try it out...

Does any one know what the two buttons/levers are on the inside of the freezer on the "box" of the ice maker. When I push one, it makes a clicking noise. When I push the other, it does nothing! Again, Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

atvguy wrote:
Does any one know what the two buttons/levers are on the inside of the freezer on the "box" of the ice maker. When I push one, it makes a clicking noise. When I push the other, it does nothing!
I remember those 2 buttons, Its been about 4 years since Wards shut down, I haven't had to work on the flex-tray style since then, If i remember right, those are to manually force the ice maker to cycle, there is a certain step to doing that, i would have to see it and do it in real life now to remember the steps the buttons are pushed to force a cycle.:cool:

Jake

atvguy

Premium Member
imported post

Jake wrote:
I remember those 2 buttons... If i remember right, those are to manually force the ice maker to cycle
Hi...

Ok, I got the new tubing and all is reassembled. Overnight, while waiting to get the tubing, I put the valve in a bucket so that I could see if the valve was dispensing water as it should... There was water in there in the morning, so I think it is working. Now, my problem is with the ice maker itself... No water still comes out of the tube in the freezer, and the ice maker is making noise, but not doing anything unless I "play" with the little switches... then it rotates and flips over... but when it gets back t the top, no water comes out to fill it up... Help, Please!!! Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Check for ice blockage in the fill tube to the ice maker.

If the Ice Maker is not turning on its own, the module may be bad.

Jake