• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Montgomery Wards Signature 2000 freezer concern

Mcsap

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Montgomery Ward
15.8 cubic foot. Model 86259. Bought new 1991. Works great for us. Lately though it makes a LOUD clunk as the compressor turns off. I suspect that one of the mounting springs has broken and it is hitting the inside of the case. Or could it just be the compressor starting to go ? If it is a spring , is it worth having fixed ? I dont think it would be a good idea to replace the compressor or is it ?

Thanks, Andy

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Mcsap said:
Model 86259.
MW model numders are usually a lot longer than that, and usually starting with at least 3 letters.

Mcsap said:
I suspect that one of the mounting springs has broken and it is hitting the inside of the case. Or could it just be the compressor starting to go ?
Yes and yes. It could very well be a problem with the compressor suspension springs. It happens occasionally with older compressors. Unfortunately those suspension springs are internal to the compressor and can not be serviced. If such a case arises, the whole compressor would have to be replaced to correct the condition ($$$+).

However, a compressor can continue to work fine for years like that... if you can put up with the noise. You might however want to keep an eye out for a good deal on a new freezer. There may be no rush. Look for an exceptional deal!

JMO

Dan O.

Mcsap

Premium Member
Thanks for your excellent advice Dan. Here is a pic of the sticker inside of the freezer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's just the label, you should have a model and serial number tag either behind or on the side of your freezer.

When I worked at Montgomery Ward it would usually start with FFT.

Dan O.: I did find it though using just 86259-0A at both AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic.

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Here is a pic of the sticker inside of the freezer.
Thanks for the effort. The actual identification tag will have both model and serial numbers listed on it. On chest freezers that is most often found on the side by the compressor compartment or on very old models, on the rear of the cabinet possibly between the hinges. That looks like just an informational sticker.

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

Jake said:
I did find it though using just 86259-0A at both AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic.
Thanks. The 3 letters at the beginning of their model numbers usually identify the product manufacturer like the prefix of Kenmore model numbers.

FFT86259-0.jpg

It really isn't important. I was just curious.

Last edited: