MQU2057BEW Maytag freezer, icing

sigjig

Premium Member
Model Number
MQU2057BEW
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag freezer Model MQU2057BEW that has severe ice build in the bottom of the freezer. This freezer has done this almost from the time it was new.

Previously I have thawed and removed all the ice build up, removed the back panel and defrosted the drain line. The icing soon returned.

What related parts may have failed that allow this recurring icing problem?

I tried searching for information, but have found very little related to the troubleshooting and repair of the issue.

Thanks for any help or information, that you may have helping me solve this problem.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
defrosted the drain line. The icing soon returned.
On these older machines you may never get it fixed. Anything that blocks the drain hole is going to cause it build up with ice until it overflows and runs to the freezer floor. That includes water. If a drop of water doesn't make it down the drain hole it freezes and the water from a defrost cycle will just build on that one drop. You're in NY so you know about humid days. You get a couple of those in a row and the moisture will condense in the drain hole. Make sure it's super clean in the drain pan and drain line. Whirlpool made a heater kit for that problem if your defrost heater was the calrod style.

sigjig

Premium Member
Thanks Rick, I will try your remedy soon. Is this probe installed in the drain line, I presume?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It straps onto the bottom heater and then into the drain. Look at the photos below.

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
Put a little water in the drain pan and see if it all goes down the drain.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick is correct, Run hot water down the drain hole, then run something down it, like a small snake, then run a little bleach down it.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake to run down that defrost drain hole: http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Jake

sigjig

Premium Member
Rick is correct, Run hot water down the drain hole, then run something down it, like a small snake, then run a little bleach down it.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake to run down that defrost drain hole: http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Jake
I have some long flexible brushes, I'll try that. Thanks for the feedback!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, keep us posted. We love updates here!

Jake

sigjig

Premium Member
I removed the ice build up, cleared the drain and flushed with hot water, then brushed and blew the line out with compressed air. I will monitor for any ice accumulation and order the drain strap if needed. Thanks for all your recommendations and advice.

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
Thanks for the pictures. I found your problem but the part is no longer available:
IMG_5085.jpg