MSD2573VEW01 Water filters keep going bad

Socaman1

Premium Member
Model Number
MSD2573VEW01
Brand
Maytag
Hello, I keep having to replace the water filter on my Maytag fridge as they work for several days, then the water starts to come out in squirts and pulses, and the supply valve cycles and sounds like a machine gun going off. At the same time, the water goes back to tasting like it does straight from the tap. I have been buying the Every Drop EDR3RXD1 and this has happened twice already. I read some of the reviews on it on the Home Depot site and they complain about the "old" filter being better and really getting the taste out of the water. I can easily tell when mine isn't working because of that, but wonder if anyone is still making the "old" type OEM filter, or if I'm stuck with taking the filter out and letting the dispenser bypass and just drinking water from a Brita pitcher. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Your model uses this OEM water filter(Video Included):
Water Filter EDR3RXD1

The original part number for your original filter has been replaced with that one. I don't think the filter is the problem, its either your water inlet valve or filter housing that's the problem.

Now, when the filter is by-passed does it still do the water hammering sound? Also does the water flow normal with the filter by-passed?

If the water hammering sound is NOT present with the filter by-passed, and the water flow is normal with the filter by-passed then the problem is the filter housing.

Here's the water filter housing for your model(Video Included in part link):
WPW10121138 Water Filter Housing

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Socaman

Premium Member
Thanks for your inputs Jake. I did start suspecting the housing earlier today. I thought perhaps the shutoff valves in it that keep the water from spewing out when the filter is changed might be faulty and causing the hammering. I bought a water inlet valve also just in case, but have not replaced it yet. A few times the last couple of days I would just take the filter out and put it back in and the hammering would stop. Let's see how long it lasts and I'll keep you posted. Much appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.:)

Jake

Socaman1

Premium Member
Well, the hammering and squirting started up again so I replaced the water inlet valve. That fixed nothing; I still get the hammering sound but now with a thin stream coming out instead of a squirt-squirt-squirt to the beat. The water filter housing is the only thing left to replace, so I will be ordering that today. I'm assuming there must be some checks in the rear of the housing that close when the filter is pulled out that may be affecting the flow during "normal" operation???

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the valve seal in the back inside of the filter housing has gone bad.

The new filter housing should get you back in business.:)

Jake

Socaman1

Premium Member
Got it! I agree that should take care of things. And it seems we are not the only ones who think so; I came across the following from the APP site when researching the filter housing:

Hammering noise in water line when dispensing water. Changed filter and it still did it. Changed water inlet valve and it still did it. Figure it has to be the filter housing. It dispenses and doesn't chatter with the filter out. So, is it the filter housing? Thank you.
Janet B for Model Number ED2KHAXVB01
ANSWER Janet, This issue will most likely be caused by a faulty filter housing in which it will need to be replaced.

Thanks for all the help Jake. Let's hope this does the trick!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yuppers, that new filter housing should fix it.:)

Let us know.

Jake