FIXED MSD2650HEQ Maytag Water Dispenser Issue, vibrating

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So your saying the filter bypass isn't letting the water flow to the ice maker and water dispenser anymore now at all?

I always pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then turn the water off, remove the water supply line, then get a bucket or container to catch water in, then test the water pressure from the water supply line into a bucket, then turn the water supply line on, and it should have good water pressure force coming out in the bucket or container.

If your water pressure is good, then disconnect the water line tubing underneath the water inlet valve and then press the water dispenser lever and see if water comes out good directly from the water inlet valve.

Jake

Pinball_Dr

Premium Member
Have you seen a bypass cap go bad?
I pulled the housing to take to the parts store to match it, reconnected it at the sink to try it. As I would install the bypass, it would vibrate and allow some water to flow. If I put the cap on part way I could get a slow flow. Twist it on fully, it would stop. I used a spoon to push on the 2 white points the ramps on the inside of the cap would depress and got a pretty strong spray.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Have you seen a bypass cap go bad?
Nope.

Did you install the new filter housing?

Jake

Susieg

Hi there! Maytag Ice 2o model MFI256AES will dispense about a cup of water or so and then make a very loud vibrating/Thumping noise and stop dispensing? Any ideas? We have tried replacing the filter.

Pinball_Dr

Premium Member
Nope.

Did you install the new filter housing?

Jake
Sorry, I did not make myself clear there. As the hour was late on Saturday, I was not able to go by the parts supply to buy anything. I will not be able to get new parts until Tuesday.
1) I do not have any spare parts at this time to install (filter, input housing, nor bypass cap)
2) The filter housing with by pass attached, will allow water to flow out of the inlet hose, but not into the refrigerator. Tried this both on and off refrigerator.
3) When I had housing out and water line attached, I could get water from the input line to the output line by slowly twisting on the bypass part way. It would often vibrate as the water came out slowly (water line to housing was good pressure) and stop when cap was fully twisted on.
3a) there is a soldered in threaded T connector after the under sink cold water valve, not a piercing type
4) When I pressed on each of the white tips that the inside ridges of the bypass would press on as it was tightened down, there was a strong spray from each tip.
This led me to question about a bad bypass cap.
Thank you for all your time in this, Scott

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Got it, now I'm clear.:)

Yes, from that information you just posted the NEW water filter housing should fix it. The new water filter housing also comes with a new bypass cap.

But if you don't plan to ever use a filter why don't you just permanently bypass it with a John Guest fitting? Then you won't even need to purchase that filter housing at all.

Look at post #13 here: https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/threads/51763-Water-leak-around-filter-housing/page2 Rick gives the 3 different options in sizes.

Jake

Pinball_Dr

Premium Member
Ok Got it, now I'm clear.:)

Yes, from that information you just posted the NEW water filter housing should fix it. The new water filter housing also comes with a new bypass cap.

But if you don't plan to ever use a filter why don't you just permanently bypass it with a John Guest fitting? Then you won't even need to purchase that filter housing at all.

Look at post #13 here: https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/threads/51763-Water-leak-around-filter-housing/page2 Rick gives the 3 different options in sizes.

Jake
Great idea! I'm on county water so have not felt the need to filter it. Probably get that at Lowes/Home depot type store.

Pinball_Dr

Premium Member
I just cut the input line to about 2.5 foot long so there would be little chance of it kinking, and looped it back to the tank line. Works great!! Thank you. :))

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake