• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MSD2651HES Maytag Refrigerator - Water leaking from ice maker inlet tube

jimf2

Premium Member
Model Number
MSD2651HES
Brand
Maytag
I noticed water on the floor behind the fridge. Thinking this might be a drain problem to an evaporator pan, I vacuumed the all the dust that may be blocking the airflow under the fridge. I removed lots of material, but the leak still occurs. I shut the water supply off, dried everything, then turned the water supply on and traced the leak to the inlet hose going to the ice maker at the back upper left. Thinking that perhaps the tube was fatigued, I cut 0.5" off the tube, replaced the stainless steel tube support, installed the tube inside the connector and made sure the clamp was tight, but still the water leaks from the ice make inlet. The water seems to spill over to the outside of the tube and runs down the outside of the tube. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jim,

Take a photo of where its leaking and upload it here.

Here's the parts diagram:
#1 is the elbow fill tube that goes in from the back
#3 is the plastic water tubing line that connects to that fill tube
#4 is the metal insert

Jake

jimf2

Premium Member
Hi Jake, Thanks for your reply. The leak is at #1, right where my finger is pointing. The water appears to be exiting the elbow "outside" of the water tube
I've made sure the metal insert is OK and in tact, there is no blockage in the elbow or the tube.

Attachments

• 20200922_094812.jpg
    20200922_094812.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200922_094839.jpg
    20200922_094839.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 41

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jim, go to the hardware store a get a small radiator to replace that spring clamp.

Jake

jimf2

Premium Member
Jake, It looks as though this will fix the problem when I get a proper sized spring clamp. The one I removed seemed to be somewhere between a 3/8" and 1/2". (Perhaps a 7/16" or metric size?)
I chose the available 3/8" clamp and it was difficult to install on the collar, and put a slight buckle in the outside collar. The picture of the spring clamp in the parts manual shows a different style and no mention of a size.
After looking at the parts manual, I can see that this is the logical fix. I'll see if I can find a crimp-on clamp like what is shown in the manual. Thanks for your assistance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Jim, 3/8" clamp should work fine.:)

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

jimf2

Premium Member
Jake, Is there a way to remove the ice maker filler tube? The video shows 2 hex head screws securing it, but on my fridge there is a rubber cap covering what might be holding the tube in place.
Is it just a matter of peeling back the rubber cap to expose the screws?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jim, In post #3 above click the link to your parts diagram, then scroll down to #1 fill tube, then click that and you will see a video that gives you the general idea of how to remove and replace it.

Jake

jimf2

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
The filler tube on my model does not have 2 screws holding as the video shows. The filler tube is basically a grommet pushed through a square hole. The square is on a 30 degree angle. To remove the filler tube, one needs to rotate the tube counter clockwise 30 degrees then pull straight out. I did that, then I melted the ice in the tube and set it back in the hole. I inserted the filler hose into the tube with the 3/8 clip. I used a hair dryer to heat the rubber area where the clip secures the water tube to make the rubber soft to allow the clip to tightly secure the water tube. This seems to have stopped the leak. Thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Jim, the ones without the fill tube screws you rotate to remove it. Its been awhile since I removed that style.:)

Sorry Jim, I'm working overtime here since Rick has been under the weather, and I missed you saying that in post #8.

Glad to hear the leak has stopped.(y)

Jake