• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MSD2651KES Refrigerator stopped dispensing water and ice

BJA

Premium Member
Model Number
MSD2651KES
Brand
Maytag
The water dispenser in the last week would only dispense about a cup before it shut itself off. Then it stopped dispensing completely and the ice maker also quit making ice at that time.
I have checked the voltage at the water valve in the back and get a 120 reading when the water button is pushed. The lights are all still working on the front. I checked the door switch and there is continuity. I toggled the lock on and off but this also did not help. I checked the water pressure coming from the wall and it is very strong. I disconnected the tube that goes up to the ice maker and could not get water to come out of it.
I am not sure what else to check. Have I missed anything and can anyone give suggestions please?

BJA

Premium Member
Maybe Solved?

I kept searching the threads and found one about the water filter housing. We are using a bypass filter, so I pulled off the tube down at the bottom and found no water coming out there. So, I am concluding that I need a new water filter housing. I have ordered one and am hoping that will fix our problem.
Thanks for a great forum of good information!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

BJA

Premium Member
Fixed!!

I got the part delivered yesterday and installed it today. It is working great. Thanks for your link to install. Appreciate it!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Jake

dmt953

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

My sister and i had been trying to fix her Maytag MFI2067AEB water dispenser and ice maker for the past couple of weeks and we can really use some advice from folks here, especially from YOU given the great help that you provided to others! We confirmed that the water reservoir is not frozen, we can hear the water duel valves buzzing and clicking when trying to dispense water. At this point the only other possibility is the water filter head that is stuck in the "closed" position and will not let water pass through the water filter or the filter bypass cap.

Searching online for the water filter head for our Maytag MFI2067AEB fridge, we only found the water reservoir assembly which comes with the filter head but replacing this will require us to remove the entire water reservoir and we will need to somehow get the other end of the water line at the bottom of the reservoir to go through the bottom of the fridge and then reconnect it to the water in-line pipe.

Before going through with this, how likely do you think replacing the water filter head would solve our problem? Also, if we do end up going this route, do you think we could replace just the water filter head alone without replacing the entire water reservoir by simply cutting the two tubes that comes out of the back of the water filter head and joint them back together with the new filter head by using some kind of water line coupling that is made specifically for this water tube/line?

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi dmt953,

They make a couple different filter housing assemblies for your model, so what I need is the serial number of your refrigerator to see which one yours takes.

Before going through with this, how likely do you think replacing the water filter head would solve our problem?
Did you first make sure you are getting water to the refrigerator from your main water supply line? I always pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the main water supply line from where it connects to your refrigerator to make sure you have plenty of water pressure, its not uncommon to see a problem in the water supply line to your refrigerator, like a clog at the valve at the water supply line from your house.

So, I'd first check that!

If that's fine then yes you will need the water filter housing assembly.

Also, if we do end up going this route, do you think we could replace just the water filter head alone without replacing the entire water reservoir by simply cutting the two tubes that comes out of the back of the water filter head and joint them back together with the new filter head by using some kind of water line coupling that is made specifically for this water tube/line?
That may be possible, but I've never done that before myself, so I can't verify if that will work or not.

As techs we always replace the bad part.

Jake

dmt953

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thank you for the response. Here is the serial number: 11699420LJ

I shut off the water valve at the sink which has a line that goes to both the sink's cold water line and to the fridge and then remove the in-line water supply to the fridge but did not turn the water back on to check for pressure since this water line goes to both the sink and the fridge and since the sink cold water does not have pressure problem then should not affect the line that goes to the fridge. I guess just to be sure I should remove the fridge water line again and turn the water back on making sure 100% that the water pressure is strong going into the fridge.

I really appreciate your help in locating the right part for me. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I guess just to be sure I should remove the fridge water line again and turn the water back on making sure 100% that the water pressure is strong going into the fridge.
Yes, I would for sure, seen that happen many times on my service calls.

Here is the serial number: 11699420LJ

Ok, then your model and serial number use this one:
WP12956202 Water Tank/head Assy.

Jake

dmt953

Premium Member
Fixed!

Jake, I want to thank you for taking the time to provide me with your expertise advice. I ordered the water reservoir assembly along with the filter head and installed it today. To my surprise, this still did not resolve the problem!! I was dumb founded and realized that it had to be the water line from the sink. You mentioned it the other day about checking the water line but by that time i already placed the order for the water reservoir/filter head kit.

The reason that I hesitated to check the water line is because the water line shares the same valve to the sink's cold water line, which works just fine. What I finally discovered is that the waterline that goes from under the kitchen sink to the fridge has some kind of pressure/check-valve mechanism so if I turn on the water valve at full throttle I can hear a clicking sound and then water is blocked from coming through the line that feeds the fridge. If I turn the valve off again and release the water line then turn the valve back on again BUT very slowly then water is passed through to the fridge and build up pressure and then I can turn the valve all the way on. I would never thought there was a special water check-valve mechanism built into this water line, but that appears to be the problem from the beginning.

Anyway, I then put back the old water reservoir with filter head assembly and contacted AppliancepartsPros and they said they will accept the part return :)

Again, thank you for taking the time to help :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good find!

Yes, I learned that many years ago, to always first check the water supply line to the refrigerator.

Glad your back in business!

Jake