• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MTF2156GEW - Evap Motor Fan bad - twice in two years

MadSalad

Premium Member
I've had this problem before. I've had this fridge now for 3 yrs. (got it in March of 2004). Twice now, the Evap Motor Fan has gone on me. I replaced the first one myself (since it was 2 months out of warranty) and I will have to do so again! I now have to hunt down a motor fan, unplug the fridge, replace the fan, etc... Again, for a BRAND NEW FRIDGE!!!

And, there was also something wrong with this fridge while it was in warranty that I had fixed by Maytag (I don't remember what the problem was now but, from the looks of it, it may also have been the evap motor fan!)

Does anyone know if there has been a recall or known problems with this part in this fridge?
Maytag Plus
Model: MTF2156GEW
Seriel: 14069904CL
Rev. # 14

I'll be writing a very unpleasent letter to Maytag telling them exactly what I think of their product.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

MadSalad

Premium Member
yup. That's the same part I put in last time. Thanks for the confirmation. Have you heard anything about these crapping out all the time? It seems absurd to me that it should be replaced twice in two years.

Calling a local refrigerator parts dealer to check on prices and availability.

Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, I haven't seen these go out all the time, I'm not sure whats causing yours to go bad so often.

Jake

MadSalad

Premium Member
So, now, I've installed my evaporator fan motor, put the freezer all back together.... and now I have water gathering in my refrigerator!

It pools in the bottom of the fridge, under the crisper bins. It looks like it's dripping down the back of the refridgerator compartment, with some possibly dripping from the stryrofoam at the top of the fridge.

I'm guessing it has something to do with my water line to the ice maker because all of the ice coming out of the icemaker, since I put the freezer back together, has been brittle - almost hollow.

any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Lou619

Premium Member
Mine too

I own about 15 of the Magic Chef CTN 1511 and CTN 1911 refrigerators--about 4 or so years old.
They use this same fan, and they started failing about 10 months into ownership in 2003. Since then, I have replaced at least 10 fan motors, some multiple times in the same frig. They are a Panasonic solid-state unit.
Over the years, they changed the Wire Harness because of moisture or something, so that now an additional wire harness with connectors at each end is needed.
They are expensive $38.00+ I never used to repair my own frig's, but have been forced to become familiar with this model.
Last month, I met a tech who wired in a standard-style fan motor--don't have the part number yet, but it is bound to be cheaper and more reliable.

Any suggestions on the standard-style motor appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well, I've said this from day 1, You take a chance of the part not fitting properly, and hard to deal with returns, etc.

I've always got that motor from Maytag and never had a problem and never went back to replace it again.

Jake

Lou619

Premium Member
RE: fan 61005935

We have had problems with this Panasonic solid-state motor, having replaced the unit twice in some of our 15 Magic Chef refrigerators.
Upon the first replacement, a newly designed wiring harness is required, adding to the expense. When these motors first starting failing--about 10 months from new, Maytag sent me five motors free, with harnesses.
Maytag knows that these motors are deficient.

I'm looking for a generic replacement that will last, even if the cost is the same. Apparently, a traditional fan motor costs about half of the official Maytag replacement.
:)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats very unusual that you would need that many, something else may be shorting them out.

Jake