• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MTW5870TW0 Maytag Legacy Series Washer stopped mid cycle

Mavrik

Premium Member
Model Number
MTW5870TW0
Brand
Maytag
The washer went thru most of a cycle this morning and quit working with water in it. I opened the lid, spun the dial around one time and tried again and it began draining and then spinning to dry. I've noticed that the lid makes a weird crunching sound when the hinge is close to closing completely. Does this seem like a problem with the lid switch and a need to be replaced?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the lid switch is starting to fail. There is a HOW TO video when you click the lid switch part link below.

Here's the lid switch for your model you can order:
WP8318084 Lid Switch

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Mavrik

Premium Member
Thanks but Unfortunately, my washer is a Maytag Legacy Series Washer so the video you suggested doesn't help with my model. Any suggestions for taking the top panel apart on MY WASHER?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its the exact same as the Whirlpool Direct Drive. The only difference is yours doesn't have the two screws holding the console down in the back, but you should be able to just release the clips with a putty knife and the console will pull up and out of the way.

See the clips #3 here:

Its the same per this video(Method 2), but its easier to use a putty knife instead of a spatula:

Jake