• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Multiple problems with GE fridge model PDS22MBRBWW

jboisvert

Premium Member
Model Number
PDS22MBRBWW
Brand
GE
Hello. I have a cooling problem with my GE fridge Model PDS22MBRBWW, manufactured in 2004.

I noticed that the fridge wasn't maintaining a cold temp (set to 37 F, went up to almost 60F over a few days); the freezer was working. I looked in the back and noticed that condenser coils and compressor were VERY hot to the touch and that the condenser fan wasn't kicking on. I also noticed that the evaporator coils in the freezer were frosted over. So I let it all defrost manually and replaced the condenser fan; it still wouldn't kick on. So I checked the motherboard and noticed one of the capacitors was bulging and leaking a tarry substance. After I defrosted the evaporator, the fridge was good for a few weeks, now it's starting to creep up again.

Now, is it worthwhile to replace the control board? Would that correct the condenser fan and the defrost issue? The fridge is already 17 years old, the control board is $260 and the condenser fan cost me about $130.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Since its a 2004 model, it would be more wise to save the repair money for a new refrigerator.

Yes, the new motherboard would fix it all, but the price of a new motherboard is over $400.00 US DOLLARS.

Here's the motherboard for your model:
Main Control Board WR55X10942P

You get $55 credit back on your credit card when you return the old motherboard.

the control board is $260
That's way too low for a NEW motherboard, so either that's a used or reconditioned motherboard which we don't recommend.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake