• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED MVH210E Amana Microwave Door Handle - broken at bottom

harry Hod

Premium Member
Model Number
MVH210E
Brand
Amana
This senior (Jan '95) microwave handle broke at the bottom attachment point. Given it's age the odds of a replacement handle seem dim. The plastic simply has fractured around the attachment screw, probably as a result of years of pulling. Two thoughts come to mind - replace the unit or use glue to hold it onto the door. I was thinking of just using Goop along with a short selftapping screw to keep it together. The unit still works OK in spite of being 25 years old! But it is way overdue for replacement.

Of course, hardly anything made today will ever have the quality of years ago (IMHO).

In using a self-tapping screw from the handle front risking radiation?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Forget about the self tapping screw and use super glue to secure it to the door.

harry Hod

Premium Member
I was concerned that super glue may not have enough surface area, so I though of Goop. But opening that door requires pulling against the internal spring latch, so I thought a screw through the handle into the door might help. It seems the microwave radiation sealing area is not directly around the area of the screw.

The normal screw boss is what has ripped loose from the handle, so some structural buildup seems needed. The fractured plastic aren't pieces that super glue could put back together.

Thanks for your advice.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Whatever works, right! You're correct, the parts are no longer available.

harry Hod

Premium Member
Well solved. The attempt to drill into the metal below the plastic framing in order to pilot a self-tapping screw failed. Whatever they used in that internal metal panel is quite hard and my new drill bit (3/32) made little progress. So I ended up inserting a section of piano wire ~3/32 into the hole in the panel plastic and secured with JB Weld epoxy. I had already drilled a corresponding hole though the handle (trim removed) and used some more epoxy to secure the rod and make a 'head' in the larger handle hole. I then cutoff the protruding music wire flush. I also used some Q-bond QB-2 super glue on the broken plastic parts around the remaining screw boss coming from the panel rear. That bonding actually seemed strong enough by itself but the piano wire was insurance. Re-installed the handle trim and the repair isn't apparent. Function restored.

The right way would be to remove the rear trim, access the through screw, rebuild the handle screw boss using the QB-2 stuff and put it back together. Somehow removing that trim on the back of the door seemed a daunting task for a machine that is 20+ years old. It's ability to continue to operate is a testimony to past manufacturing quality. A few more years before this microwave is added to the e-waste pile.

Wishing others good luck in keeping our stuff alive.