• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MVWB400VQ0 Maytag Bravo 300 Washer - Bearing piece stuck

Michelle A

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWB400VQ0
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag Bravo 300 washer and I am replacing the bearings. I am very handy and I use to sell appliance parts. So far it was very easy and I had no problem taking the machine apart and removing the bottom bearing. When it came to removing the top bearing it fell apart due to rust. The problem I found was the outter piece of the top bearing stayed wedged inside the outter plastic tub. I sprayed WD40 around this piece hoping it will seep through and I can somehow jimmy it out. Does anyone here have some helpful tips on how to pry it out and off the plastic tub? I hope someone has some good tips. Thank you

Michelle A

Premium Member
Can you take a couple pics and post them here?
20200314_223513.jpg

Michelle A

Premium Member
Where my finger is pointing is the outer piece of the top bearing that is stuck. The top, bottom and inside the bearing broke in pieces. The next picture where I am pointing shows where it is wedged and stuck. I even tried a dremel and that didnt cut through.

20200314_223432.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
How are you installing the bearing?

Can the new bearing be pressed in from the opposite side and in doing so, push the stuck piece out?

Here's the recommended tool:
Bearing Tool

Alternately it might be possible to chill the metal ring to shrink it a bit, possibly enough to unstick it. Have any liqiid nitrogen hanging around?

Michelle A

Premium Member
Sorry I dont have any nitrogen but I am sure I can think of something. Yes Im using the bearing tool. Thank you for your help. Be safe with all the craziness regarding corona virus.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If all else fails you'd need to replace the outer tub assembly.

Here it is for your model:
Outer tub and drive shaft assembly

This assembly includes the shaft, bearings & shaft seal in the bottom of the tub as an assembly.

Jake

Michelle A

Premium Member
I went out and bought some PB Blaster and sprayed the area. I also have it on ice to shrink the metal. If that doesn't work, I will come to the conclusion that the piece of damaged bearing got heated and melted into the plastic outer tub. Therefore my choice is buy a new outer tub or a new washer. A part like this is impossible to get loose or removed. Now I know why most appliance repair men hate doing bearing. Lol.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, when I was a YOUNG appliance repairman at 22 I didn't mind doing bearings, now that I'm almost 55 I do mind. LOL

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just barely!!! LOL

Jake