• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MVWB750WQ0 Problem Installing Bearing and Seal Kit in Maytag Bravos Washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twang

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWB750WQ0
Brand
Maytag
Everything was going smoothly. Used the recommended bearing press tool to install the bearings. I installed the new drive shaft. Used a hammer and block of wood to ensure the drive shaft bottomed out on the top bearing. Instructions said to "tap" with hammer. It required a few strokes a bit harder than a "tap" to get the drive shaft to bottom out flat against the bearing. I installed new shaft nut, stator back plate, and stator. I checked the drive shaft by turning it with my hand. It turned freely. I installed the rotor and then checked the drive shaft again by turning it by hand. The rotor turns part of a revolution freely than exhibits a firm resistance. It still turns but much harder. Frees up again as I continue turning it by hand, then resistance again. When I remove the rotor, the shaft turns freely. Put the rotor back on, free movement then resistance. Any ideas what could be causing the rotor to bind against the stator? I would really appreciate some help. Thanks so much.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Twang

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply, Jake. Don't know how I could have not set the bearing properly. I used the bearing installation tool shown and carefully followed instructions of the same video you recommend. Is your recommendation that I remove the drive shaft and bearings and re-install? Do I stand a good chance of removing the drive shaft, bearings, washer, spacer without damaging them?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What was the problem with the washer to begin with? Loud bearing noise in spin?

Do I stand a good chance of removing the drive shaft, bearings, washer, spacer without damaging them?
I don't know, I've never had to redo it all over again myself.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I really don't know what else could be causing this issue, I've replaced many of these bearings and never had that problem.

Hopefully another tech or member that's seen this happen can shed so light on it and how to resolve it.

Jake

Twang

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. Just my luck. I was trying to proceed carefully and end up encountering a problem no one seems to have had. Without the rotor, the drive shaft turns freely. With the rotor, it binds. Hopefully, someone else who is familiar with the problem will suggest a solution.

Twang

Premium Member
I removed the rotor and stator and set the stator inside the rotor. I was surprised at how tight the clearances are; about 3/16". Is the rotor suppose to rub against the stator as the rotor turns? Also, I saw an arrow on the stator and an arrow on the rotor. Obviously for alignment. Doesn't look like it means with each other. Thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the rotor suppose to rub against the stator as the rotor turns?
Not that I'm aware of.

Did you watch this entire video?

Jake

Twang

Premium Member
Jake and all: I received a really interesting and encouraging response from another site. The gentleman said that it is possible I am experiencing magnetic resistance. He said some front loaders (e.g. his LG) have a damping effect when you try to spin the drum by hand - even when the machine is unplugged. After about 1/3 of a rotation, the electro-magnets in the stator oppose the motion of the rotor and drum. He said he didn't know if it's an intentional feature, or just a byproduct of the motor design, but it is perfectly normal. He asked me if the resistance I'm feeling was smooth and quiet or is there a mechanical sound like grinding or scratching or scraping? Magnetic resistance should be silent and smooth. The resistance I feel is silent and smooth. Have you ever experienced magnetic resistance in a washer as described above? If it's true, it means I can continue onto the next step and install the seal and put the washer back together again. What do you think?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, I have not, but I don't work on these newer washers day in and day out like some techs do. They are not very popular machines in my area, I mostly see the older Whirlpool, Kenmore, Maytag, Frigidaire washers in my area, That use a motor coupler or belt.

It makes sense what he says though, It sounds normal to me too.:)

Jake

AllenAppliance

Premium Member
I can tell you for sure that you are indeed running into magnetic resistance, I work on these all the time.
its perfectly normal, nothing to worry about. in fact if you were to keep turning through the resistance and increase speed it would generate electricity.
put it together and get some laundry done

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Allen for verifying that!

Jake

Twang

Premium Member
Allen and Jake: thank you so much. I am relieved to know nothing is amiss and that I can start putting the washer back together again. Can I be reasonably assured the bearings, spacer, and drive shaft are installed correctly if the drive shaft without the rotor turns smoothly? I ask because I had to give the drive shaft a few good hits to drive it all the way down such that the metal collar was flush with the top bearing.

AllenAppliance

Premium Member
its not uncommon, but with a careful hand that can be avoided, its caused by the spacer not aligning with the lower bearing perfectly.
I have had to drive a few in before, and while I cringe at it, I have never had an issue to date.

Twang

Premium Member
Since with the rotor removed, the drive shaft turns smoothly, do you think the bearings and spacer are probably installed correctly and I can proceed to put the washer back together again?

Twang

Premium Member
Jake and All: thank you so much for all your help. It was indeed magnetic resistance. The washer is together, up and running like new thanks to you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Twang, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.