• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MVWB755DW0 Maytag Washer will not run a wash cycle

BrentG

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWB755DW0
Brand
Maytag
Hi. I have a Maytag MCT Bravos XL Top Load Washing Machine, model MVWB755DW0 that was purchased new 4 years ago. A few days ago it went from working great to unable to start a wash cycle. When attempting to start a cycle, the lid locks correctly, the sensing light illuminates followed by electrical humming. Then the sensing light extinguishes and the wash light illuminates. There is a little more humming, then the mode returns to sensing. It continues this process for a few minutes, then beeps, the done light illuminates and the lid locked light flashes for about 5 minutes before it shuts itself off. From other posts on this forum I was able to get into diagnostic mode and retrieve the only stored error code which is F7 E5. I also tried a number of the self tests in diagnostic mode. None of the agitate or spin tests seemed to work. I could hear the motor hum, but don't believe anything inside was spinning (lid has to be locked so couldn't see inside).
A local repair shop said they could come out in a week, but I'd like to fix it faster (and cheaper). Over the phone they said they believed it needed a clutch replacement which seems straightforward to me from videos I found but I want to verify if that is actually the problem before undertaking that repair. My first issue is I can't find the tech sheet for my specific model. I found a similar one on this forum, but don't know if it applies directly to mine. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Brent

BrentG

Premium Member
Update. Found the tech sheet for my model on another thread. After spinning the drum and agitator by hand, I can now get the machine to spin and agitate on those respective tests in the diagnostic mode. However, it makes a loud grinding noise on all of them so I didn't run them for long. In the process of checking electrical connections according to test #3a from tech sheet. On visual inspection, main control board looks great. No loose connections, fraying or corrosion. Green light is blinking. Still guessing the clutch is the culprit, but I really don't know and am hoping to know for sure before I start ordering parts.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Brent,

F7E5=Shifter Failure--->Fault is displayed when the main control determines the shifter is not engaging the basket for spin or disengaging it for wash.
• Check shifter connectors.
• Check for clothing or another item wedged between the impeller and the basket that could bind them together.
• Check that the shifter slider moves freely.
• See TEST #3a: Drive System – Shifter, page 15.

Ok, this model is direct drive, no belt, so it uses a different Shift Actuator than the BELT models do.

Here's the Shift Actuator(also called Slider) for your model:
Shift Actuator W10734521

The shifter coil is the clutch assembly, it has the Orange and White wires going to it.

Here's the clutch(shifter coil) assembly for your model:
W10754448 Clutch

Just the clutch, unless the plastic teeth on the shift actuator are grinded down, then you'd need both.

Here's another member that said the new clutch fixed his:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Watch this video to access those parts:

Jake

BrentG

Premium Member
Thank you. The different terminology was definitely confusing me. I wasn't seeing any mention of the clutch in the documentation for my machine so thanks for clearing that up. I'll check out the video and hopefully try to start tackling the replacement soon. Will update with my progress. Greatly appreciate the help.

Brent

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Brent, sounds good.

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

BrentG

Premium Member
Completed recommended tests from tech sheet. There is some corrosion and evidence of rubbing on inside of the clutch (shifter coil). There are also what appears to be very fine metal shavings in the area - almost a powder they are so fine. The slider moves freely up and down on the drive shaft and the plastic teeth seem to be in great condition and are engaging the shaft securely. However, the metal ring attached to the slider that contacts the clutch (nesting inside the clutch assembly) is also a little corroded. I have ordered a new clutch with arrival expected Tue or Wed. My plan is to install the new clutch and use very fine steel wool to remove the corrosion from the metal ring on the slider. Any reason not to do this? Another question is does the corrosion mean I possibly have a leaking bearing somewhere above the slider? It's a relatively small amount of rust and I don't see any rust or evidence of water anywhere else. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My plan is to install the new clutch and use very fine steel wool to remove the corrosion from the metal ring on the slider. Any reason not to do this?
That sounds like a good plan to me.:)

Another question is does the corrosion mean I possibly have a leaking bearing somewhere above the slider? It's a relatively small amount of rust and I don't see any rust or evidence of water anywhere else.
Its possibly condensation that made it get a little corroded, is your washer outside in the garage?

I doubt that its a leak as well, or you'd see water stains on the floor below the washer.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Brent, sounds good.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Brent,

Did the new clutch fix it?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have the exact same error code too? F7E5=Shifter Failure?

I'm attaching the tech. data sheet for this model below.

Jake

Attachments

• W10607408 - Rev F.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 29

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, look at what I mentioned to check in post #3 in your tech. data sheet, which I just posted above in post #13 and keep us posted.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member