• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MVWB765FC1 Maytag top load squeaks when agitating

Andy321

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWB765FC1
Brand
Maytag
Maytag MVWB765FC1 Good afternoon. My top load started to squeak recently while it's agitating. The squeak occurs just as the agitator is changing direction and happens with each directional change. I removed the agitator to check that nothing had worked its way beneath (nothing there). All other cycles sound normal. The machine is 2 years old and I do not have an extended warranty. I live out of town and it's a $150 service call to diagnose so I am hoping to find some answers here.

Thanks for any help someone can provide.

Andy

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Andy,

Leave the agitator OFF while its washing and see if the squeak is still present.

If the squeak is NOT still present, then you will need a new agitator:

If the squeak is still present, then you will need a new transmission:
Transmission

Jake

Andy321

Premium Member
Good afternoon,
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time. I am not disputing your diagnosis but rather trying to understand before I start ordering parts. The agitator doesn't have any moving parts to wear out so could you help me understand what could be worn or broken on it that would necessitate replacement? Also, I saw a situation on a top load Maytag (different model) where a squeak like mine was fixed by some grease (explained in a factory service bulletin). I was optimistically hoping that there might be a similar type of fix for my machine as it is only 2 years old, is used lightly (just 2 of us in the house) and it was advertised as commercial duty so I expected to not have to start buying drive-train parts so soon.

I will try to run it without the agitator as you suggested but provably won't have a chance to get at it for a day or two.

Thank you again

Andy

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Andy, It could be the agitator spline making that noise where it mounts onto the transmission shaft.

It would help us if you made a video of that noise and upload it here, or upload it to Youtube and post the video link here, of share it on Google Drive and post the share link here.:)

Also, I saw a situation on a top load Maytag (different model) where a squeak like mine was fixed by some grease (explained in a factory service bulletin).
That doesn't apply to this model.

Keep us posted.

Jake

Andy321

Premium Member
Hi,
So, on the very first load through after I removed and reinstalled the agitator the noise is no longer there. Perhaps there was something under it that I did not see, or perhaps having it in a different position on the spline made a difference, or maybe divine intervention occurred as I have been trying to be a very good person lately:LOL:. The only thing that struck me as odd was that when I was removing the agitator the bolt was crazy tight. I ended up using an impact driver to remove it. Can't really see that that would have contributed to a sound being made though. I'll wait for a couple of weeks of no strange squeaks before I say "Problem Solved".
Thanks again for your feedback.

Andy

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Andy, sounds good.

Yes, its very rare for the agitator bolt to be that tight.

Yes, Come back and let us know in 2 weeks.

Jake