• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MVWC360AW0 Maytag Washer won't complete a wash cycle - intermittent problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Grabber

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWC360AW0
Brand
Maytag
We bought this washer new in September 2013. In the last few weeks, sometimes, more often than not, it won't complete a wash cycle. When it messes up, it will wash, but won't drain or spin. When it does this, the spin light will stay lit but there is no action. I sometimes hear a hum that I think is the drain motor, but it isn't plugged. Should the drain pump impeller turn freely when not under load? Mine doesn't want to move more than 1/2 a revolution when off the machine. When the problem happens, disconnecting power and plugging back in causes the sensing light to flash after about 10 seconds. Pressing the start button with a flashing sensor for a moment appears to start it into whatever cycle is selected. Pressing the start button with a flashing sensor for several seconds causes the humming noise again. Sometimes I can manually stop the cycle and put it into rinse and spin, and it will drain/spin, then complete the rinse & spin cycle. Here's what I've done so far:
  • Replaced the shifter
  • Replaced the lid lock
  • Tested the main control board for proper voltage. The test LED is on. It passes the 120V AC and 13V DC.
  • Tested the drain pump for proper resistance. It passed with 16.9 ohms.
  • Ran automatic AND manual diagnostics - it successfully runs all tests. I did notice the "Reserved for future development" where Rinse & Spin lights turn on let the cold water run.
  • I've checked and cleared several codes. I've seen the usual suspects; F2E1 - probably because I manually held the start button in way too long while trying to get it to run; F5E1 - leading me to replace the lid lock; F8E1 - my guess is because it's not draining; F9E1 - again, maybe because it's not draining. I also got an F0E1 today, even though I use only HE detergent.
  • Tested the shifter. Per the manual, #6 under test 3A, I'm getting open circuit (infinity) on J16 Pins 1&2. So, I jumped to step 13 and checked continuity on the wiring harness. J2-1 to shifter connector 7 is 0 ohms. J2-2 to shifter connector 6 is 0 ohms. The new shifter, as well as the old one, show an open circuit when directly connecting to pins 6 & 7 on the shifter.

Why, if I'm getting an open circuit on the shifter, will it pass automatic and manual diagnostics, and SOMETIMES run a full wash cycle?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I sometimes hear a hum that I think is the drain motor, but it isn't plugged. Should the drain pump impeller turn freely when not under load?
Yes, it should turn freely in increments.

When you hear that hum, and its not running and you have 120 volts to it, then its bad.

Here's the drain pump for your model you can order:
Drain Pump WPW10276397

Jake

Mike Grabber

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply! I started thinking it might be the culprit, but intermittent problems drive me crazy :). My wife says that's a short trip, though...

Mike Grabber

Premium Member
A short trip? I don't understand.

Jake
A short trip to being driven crazy...I'm almost there anyway...BTW, I wired the old drain pump directly to 120 AC, and got it to replicate the intermittent run/no run. New pump is on the way.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
A short trip to being driven crazy...I'm almost there anyway...BTW
LOL, got it!

I wired the old drain pump directly to 120 AC, and got it to replicate the intermittent run/no run. New pump is on the way.
Great, the new drain pump should fix it then, let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Mike, I've replaced many of those same drain pumps here in my local area for my customers, and it always fixes this same problem your having.:)

Jake

Mike Grabber

Premium Member
Oops...thought I replied earlier. Got the new pump last week, and it fixed the problem. We've run several loads with no problem. Thanks, Jake, for the guidance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Mike, glad the new drain pump fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.