• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MVWC416FW0 Maytag washer worn splutch?

Jza

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWC416FW0
Brand
Maytag
The other day when doing laundry my girlfriend heard a loud grinding noise during the spin cycle.

I had a look today and it appears that the shaft pulley has worn a ring into the plastic pulley cover. I noticed that the splutch allows some up and down travel of the shaft pulley. However, when I took the splutch apart, nothing looked worn. All the splines appeared solid and the nut holding the shaft pulley was on tight.

I don’t want to throw parts at this thing. What could it be? I attached a picture and video.

Jeff

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jeff,

Check your hub to make sure the teeth are NOT worn down, if so, then that's the problem, order the hub.:)

Here's the hub for your model:
W10528947 Hub

Here's a video to replace it:

Let us know how it goes.

Look at these photos below of the teeth grinded down to smooth.

Jake

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then I don't know what else could be causing it, hopefully another tech. that's heard this noise before can shed some light on this for you.

Jake

Jza

Premium Member
Thank you for the suggestions so far. The noise is gone now that the guard is off, so I just need to find out what part controls the up and down travel of the shaft pulley, it’s what was rubbing on the guard.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the parts diagram for your model:
All you have down there is #16 the splutch assembly:
W10721967 Splutch Cam Kit

And the #5 transmission:
W11035747 Gearcase

Both have been problematic for noise issues, as you can see from what the folks say in those AppliancePartsPros reviews of each part.

Jake