• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MVWC425BW1 Maytag Centennial Washer stuck Sensing light and pump issue

deet

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWC425BW1
Brand
Maytag
I've been having problems fixing a Maytag Centennial washing machine that I think I've isolated to the pump. It began with a stuck lock and Sensing light along with failing to drain the water inside the basket, every time the machine was run on any setting it would just make a grinding sound until the plug was pulled, it was unresponsive to holding down the start button to try to cancel what it was doing. I wasn't able to get it into standby mode or run any diagnostics. You can hear the sound in this video:

After manually draining the machine as much as possible by removing the drain hose, I was able to get it to go into diagnostic mode. It doesn't have any error codes saved, which I found strange, and still didn't have any error codes even after I reconnected everything and tried to run a cycle with similar results (tub filled, horrible noise, wouldn't drain). Running automatic tests didn't produce any error codes. I drained everything again and was able to run some manual tests, and determined that the sound only occurs when the pump is turned on. Everything else seems to be working normally. I checked the drain pipe and the pump itself for any obvious obstructions, and they both looked fine, so now I have a couple questions about how I should proceed.

1) Is the sound in the video more likely caused by a blockage under the wash basket, or by a burnt out motor on the drain pump? I've been hesitant to remove the basket to check the filter under it as I've read horror stories about how hard it is to remove and then reseat baskets in these machines. This particular washer had next to no maintenance for several years before I recently acquired it and we have hard water in our area. There was a significant buildup of gunk under the agitator when I received it, so I'm pretty sure removing the basket and getting it back on the spindle afterward is going to turn into a massive ordeal. I'm tempted to just buy the $25 pump and hope it fixes the problem, but I don't want to burn out a brand new part needlessly if there is a blockage on the basket side. It drains easily out of the bottom if I disconnect the hose or angle it downward, which makes me think it's probably not a physical blockage, just an inability of the pump to pump the water out when the hose is vertical.

2) Should I be worried about the lack of error codes even when the machine clearly will not run properly? Does this indicate damage to the mainboard as well as whatever is going on with the pump?

Any help or insight would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't hear anything in the video but it filling with water.

Make a video of it draining only or washing only without the filling water sound. Or turn the fill hoses OFF at your water supply line.

Jake

deet

Premium Member
That is a video of it attempting to drain, the fill hoses were totally disconnected but the same thing happens with the hoses connected as well. It never made that sound until a couple days ago when it started failing to drain water out of the basket. The noise occurs when turning the drain pump on during manual testing, or when the washer tries to drain during a normal load. The water doesn't drain and then the machine gets stuck in sensing mode and keeps trying to run the pump indefinitely while making that noise whenever the start button is pressed until I manually drain everything by disconnecting the drain hose and letting all the water run out the bottom. Then it will at start up in Standby mode, but as soon as I try to run a cycle or test, it will fill the basket with water and start doing the same thing as soon as the pump is engaged and get stuck until I manually drain the water again.

At first I thought it might be the shift actuator as I had read that it can prevent the machine from draining if it's failing, but it's able to switch between spin cycle and agitation mode with manual testing, and the sound only happens when the pump turns on.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I'm clear now. Thanks!

Remove the drain pump and see if the impeller inside it is stripped. This happened to a customer I had in Bouse, Arizona about a year ago, and it was the drain pump impeller that was stripped.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump WPW10661045

Watch this video to access it:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

deet

Premium Member
The impeller was the problem, and after replacing the pump it is back to draining and running cycles properly. Thanks for the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new drain pump fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.