AWSHandy

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWX500BW0
Brand
Maytag
Hello,

I have read thru this thread...

https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/threads/61176-MVWX500BW0-Newish-Maytag-washer-wont-do-anything?highlight=MVWx500bw0

I did not have the tech sheet, or instructions when on site; but these are the symptoms

1) when you start a "normal cycle" the lid lock led will come on, then a couple of clicks, NO WATER, and the lid lock led will then blink....nothing else happens.

2) the washer was working but "making noise" while turning up to 2 weeks ago

Is this enough info to proceed? Should diagnostic be run...what to look for. Thank you in advance for your reply

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AWsUVW9FbplCDjkAxUR0qpVjf_OJqlMB

It sounds like the lid lock latch switch is bad. Yes, get into the diagnostics and see what fault code you get.

Here's the lid lock latch assembly for your model:
W10404050 Lid Latch Assembly

I'd also check the lid door strike that's mounted on your lid, to make sure that's not broke. When I order and replace the lid lock on these models I always order and replace the lid door strike as well, as they work together.

Here's the lid door strike for your model(Video Included):
WPW10240513 Lid Switch Strike

Let us know what you find.

Jake

AWSHandy

Premium Member
Hello Jake,

so I went back yesterday. I tried to invoke diagnostics 10-12 times. This is wha happened. I got to "standby mode". Most of the time after pushing start button then turning the cycle selector L R R R L...the "Sensing" led came on. A couple of times... the Lid Locked (bright blinking), Spin (dim blinking), Done (dim blinking)

I could NEVER get all the LEDs to blink. On the tech sheet it does say what to do when "unable to invoke diagnostics". Unplug, bring to standby and try again. After many attempts it was no use.

What DID happen was that after all this, I tried one last time. No luck, BUT the Sensing light stayed on (solid) and lid locked light (solid). The cycle
began, water fill, and wash(agitate). The cycle quit hallway thru. What next? I am stuck. Thanks Jake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Its the control board that's gone bad then.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
W11100673 Cntrl-Elec

Jake

AWSHandy

Premium Member
Hello Jake,

So, I got the control. I will install tomorrow and hopefully, that will be the solution. I did talk to someone who said that a "code" might be have to be entered corresponding to the model. I had no idea what he was talking about. Is this a thing? There is a "calibration code" instruction that came with the control. I will follow that. Anything else?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I did talk to someone who said that a "code" might be have to be entered corresponding to the model. I had no idea what he was talking about. Is this a thing?
No, that's not correct, No code to enter.:)

There is a "calibration code" instruction that came with the control. I will follow that.
That's correct.

Did you order the control board from my link to it above?

Jake

AWSHandy

Premium Member
I did. I got the board and installed it and calibrated it. Then I ran diagnostics and got a F7 E1 error code only. I erased the error codes and ran it again. same thing. Then I ran manual mode instead of automatic mode. Low spin, high spin, gentle agitation, and heavy agitation would not run. The test would not run. Once again F7 E1 error. What next?

AWSHandy

Premium Member
Hello Jake,

I am actually at the job right now. I looked it up. It appears that the F7 E1 error is fixed with a new Shift Actuator. Is this true, or might there be something else??? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Please don't use quotes anymore, it's just you and me talking.:)

F7E1 – BASKET SPEED SENSOR FAULT

Go into diagnostics and retrieve the codes(WHICH YOU DID ALREADY), and clear them.

To clear fault codes:
--->Turn cycle selector knob until the status LEDs flash ON and OFF (see figure 2, page 2).
--->Press and hold the START button for 3 seconds to clear all fault codes and exit Fault Code Display Mode.

This is very important since most complaints start with the lid lock on and blinking, or the unit will not start and spin.

If, when in diagnostics the codes are F7E1, F7E5, or motor speed codes, then chances are it is a motor, capacitor, or shifter related issue. Once the codes are cleared, put the washer into a manual diagnostic test and run the HEAVY AGITATION; if
after 15‐20 Seconds the motor runs then you can rule out the motor, capacitor, control, and most likely the wiring harness connections (although still check the BK wire from the shifter to the control). Remember, the timing wheel only turns in the
transmission during the spin cycle.

Next, while in Manual diagnostics, try to get the unit to spin; if the motor hums for a split second and then shuts down with the lid lock blinking; go back into diagnostic codes and look for shifter or speed sensor errors.

This is proof that the shifter/sensor assembly is the issue because the optical sensor is not reading the motor speed.

Here's the shift actuator for your model you can order here(Video Included):
Shift Actuator WPW10006355

Let us know what you find.

Jake

AWSHandy

Premium Member
Ok, sorry about the quote thing.
I did clear the error codes and ran in automatic test mode again. Again got F7E1. I cleared the codes again and ran in manual test mode. I skipped ahead to low spin, high spin, gentle agitation, heavy agitation. I did not go straight to heavy agitation. I guess I have to go back. I will have a shifter actuator with me when I do. And, oh yeah...the motor does hum a bit and lid lock blinks...when starting a cycle or when doing diagnostics when it gets to that part.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then it seems to me you had multiple problems on this washer.

The control board because of the dimming and bright lights, now the shift autator and it wouldn't hurt to replace the door latch lock assembly and lid strike too, they get a lot of wear and tear.

Jake