Not open for further replies.

stackmatic

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWX500XW0
Brand
Maytag
Hello,

I have a Maytag Bravos Top Load washer - model # MVWX500XW0. Near the end of the last load I ran it stopped and stuck (just sat there with the lights on) before the completion of the final spin cycle. Now it won't run at all. Whatever wash setting I put it on, it won't go past the initial "sensing" mode. The lid locks and the display lights come on and I can hearing it "thinking", but it never actually starts the cycle. The water supply hoses and drain hose are fine. I don't see any obstructions in the drain pump. The drum rotates freely by hand and the belt looks fine. Any ideas? Haven't had any issues with it prior to this.

Thanks... Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Tom,

Its a Whirlpool/Maytag Vertical Modular Washer.

I have been researching this model online and the most common part to go bad with this issue your experiencing now is a bad lid lock switch, that may be the case with yours because the repair manual says the main control board that's located inside your console checks the lid switch when you first press start.

I'd first check your lid switch, I located a service flash for this issue here: https://www.applianceblog.com/manuals/W10411107.pdf

I was able to locate the repair manual for this model: www.applianceblog.com/manuals/W10329932.pdf

Here's the lid lock switch for your model:
W10404050 Lid Latch Assembly

Video Included in part link.

If your lid switch doesn't look broken, then Once you have the top up, there should be a tech. data sheet inside the front panel, look over that first and it has a diagnostics test you can run it for error codes.

Jake

stackmatic

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the reply. It's definitely not the lid lock switch. And I couldn't get it to go into the diagnostics mode. I wound up having a local appliance repair guy come out and look at it this afternoon. He quickly determined that the problem is a faulty position sensor. He said it's a common issue on my washer and the Whirlpool equivalent. He ordered a new one and is going to swap it out within a day or two. Hopefully that does the trick.

Best... Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the update Tom, that's good to know.:)

Is this the part the tech. is calling the position sensor:

Shift Actuator WPW10006355

Video Included in part link.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for letting us know, keep us posted when the tech. comes back to replace it.:)

Jake

I just registered an account to tell you that you are doing Gods work.

I found this thread through google after having this exact same problem. It managed to resolve itself somehow after I tried to put it into diagnostics mode in the manual you posted.

Your posts in this thread (and in this forum in general I assume) are bar none the most helpful thing I've seen to solve a random problem of mine on the internet, and for that I thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, glad we could help with yours too.:)

Jake

stackmatic

Premium Member
Thanks for letting us know, keep us posted when the tech. comes back to replace it.:)

Jake
So, after the repair guy replaced the shift actuator, my washer worked fine for 1 year. And then the shift actuator failed again. I installed a replacement myself. It worked fine for 1 month (about 10 or 12 loads) and now it too has failed. Thoughts? Is there another component that might be causing the shift actuator to keep failing?

Thanks... Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Tom, have you tried to recalibrate the washer?

Read page 4 of your tech. data sheet.

Also read page 14 where it says Shifter Switch and Optical Sensor. You may have a wire harness problem or control board problem if Calibrating doesn't fully fix the washer after replacing the shift actuator.

16. Replace the shifter assembly.
a. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
b. Replace shifter assembly.
c. Reassemble all parts and panels.
d. Plug in washer or reconnect power. Calibrate washer and perform Automatic Test to verify repair.

Keep us posted.

Jake

Kcaldera78

Premium Member
Hello,
I have a Maytag MVWC360AW0 washer. After moving to a new house, the washer will no longer finish the wash cycle. It gets stuck on wash, stops everything it is doing, and does not move to Rinse/Spin or Spin/Drain. You can manually move the washer to these settings and start them. The lid locks and unlocks as required, so I do not think it is a lid lock issue.

I replaced the Shift Actuator, and it did not help. I also noticed that now the washer keeps leaking/dripping water into the tub. If I start the Spin/Drain portion, it stops leaking water after it is done. When I replaced the Shift Actuator I placed the washer face down, I don't know if that would have damaged any of the seals?

What else do I need to replace to get the washer to finish the cycle?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did your re-calibrate the washer after you replaced the shift actuator?

If not, do that. Your tech data sheet tells you how to do that. Its inside the front panel of your washer after you raise the top panel of your washer.

I also noticed that now the washer keeps leaking/dripping water into the tub.
That indicates your water inlet valve solenoid is not closing all the way causing the dripping water into the tub issue.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model you can order:
WPW10683603 Valve

Jake

Kcaldera78

Premium Member
Hey Jake,
I finally got around to recalibrating the washer. Ran it through the recal program twice. Then simply tried an empty wash on Warm, Regular, and no other settings. It ran through the sensing cycle, then started the wash cycle, then stopped after about 10min. The green light is stuck on "wash", and it does nothing else.

Thanks
KC

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok KC,

Something else is wrong then, sounds like the control board is malfunctioning, in your tech. data sheet get into the diagnostics mode and run through it and see if any error codes show up.

Here's the control board for your model:
W10520038 Electronic Control Board

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Kcaldera78

Premium Member
Jake,
Thanks for the reply, will post back once I have a moment to run the diags.

On a side note, I ran the washer last night to time each mode and see what is was doing and here is what happened.
7:25pm - Sensing/Lid Locked lights on.
7:37pm - Started agitating (only lid lock light on)
7:42pm - stopped completely, green light sitting on wash.

So after running the above cycle twice, I moved the knob to Drain/Spin and press the START button. The weird part is that the washer actually started the WASH cycle, not the Drain/Spin cycle. I pressed stop, and tried again, and the same thing happened. On the third attempt of the same thing, I unplugged the power cable to the washer. Immediately after plugging the power cable back into the wall, the washer auto started the WASH cycle. I repeated this again, and again the same thing. I stopped the washer by holding down the button for 3 seconds. Then I turned the knob several turns clock wise, and tried the Drain/Spin cycle again. On this last attempt it actually proceeded to Drain/Spin. I don't know if this help to isolate the possible broken component? I wonder if the washer auto remembers the last cycle and starts it after a power loss? I will try to get to those diagnostics as soon as possible.

Thanks again,
KC

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok KC, from that information that definitely sounds like the control board is malfunctioning.

Jake

mbrusso

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum I hope people are still reading it!

I have a Bravos Maytag MVWX655DW0 - and it's stuck in sensing mode. I press set up the wash, press start and the sensing light comes on. The lock door button comes on. Then the drum spins for 1 sec and stops. The lock button goes off and the sensing light starts blinking. The machine is only one year old. Do I seriously need a part and have to fix this? It has a tag on it saying 10-year warranty...is it covered? Who can fix these things?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi mbrusso,

That model you own has a 10 year part only warranty on the drive motor and wash basket: http://www.maytag.com/digitalassets/MLPDF/Warranty Page - W10607433-W.pdf

Since its 1 year old, you may still be in the warranty period, I'd check your receipt and have Maytag come out under warranty.

Another member had this same issue with this same model number as you have: Maytag Bravos Washer MVWX655DW0 Sensor light ON The problem seems to be a faulty control board.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
Control Board W10625696

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.