MVWX500XW0 Maytag washer F7E1 error

Luke Finley

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWX500XW0
Brand
Maytag
I'm dealing with a frustrating machine and hoping for some help. The lid lock was broken so I replaced the lid lock since it wouldn't even get into test mode. Once the lock was replaced I was able to pull a lid lock error as well as F7E1 error from the control.

I've seen the basket speed fault come up even just when these are overloaded so I cleared the codes and put it into a calibration cycle. It didn't complete the cycle. Same error code. Cleared it again and started a cycle to see if I could hear anything.

It started to sense the load. There was a moan from the motor and then a second one that sounded weaker and it trailed off at the end like it was straining. I tilted the machine back and discharged the capacitor. Usually when I do that I see a spark, nothing this time. I put my multimeter on it set to ohm because I don't have a capacitance check on mine.

It read OL and stayed there. Reversed the leads, same thing. I know these machines have issues with broken wires and actuators, but it seems like the capacitor is bad. Is it worth trying the capacitor or is something else happening?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Luke,

Its best to test the capacitor with a analog meter per this video: Capacitor Testing Video

Do this first: Go into diagnostics and retrieve the codes, and clear them. This is very important since most complaints start with the lid lock on and blinking, or the unit will not start and spin.

If, when in diagnostics the codes are F7E1, F7E5, or motor speed codes, then chances are it is a motor, capacitor, or shifter related issue. Once the codes are cleared, put the washer into a manual diagnostic test and run the HEAVY AGITATION; if
after 15‐20 Seconds the motor runs then you can rule out the motor, capacitor, control, and most likely the wiring harness connections (although still check the BK wire from the shifter to the control). Remember, the timing wheel only turns in the
transmission during the spin cycle.

Next, while in Manual diagnostics, try to get the unit to spin; if the motor hums for a split second and then shuts down with the lid lock blinking; go back into diagnostic codes and look for shifter or speed sensor errors.

This is proof that the shifter/sensor assembly is the issue because the optical sensor is not reading the motor speed.

Here's the shift actuator for your model you can order - Video Included:
WPW10006355 Shift Actuator

Also take the belt off and remove the transmission pulley and remove the plastic cams to see if the teeth are worn down way too much, if so order and replace that Splutch cam kit.

I've been seeing quite a bit of this lately in my area here too and that would also cause the F7E1 error code.

Here's the Splutch Cam Kit for your model:
W10721967 Splutch Cam Kit

Video included in part link.

Here's the bulletin on that error code: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xcry5ds5awwnv3/Service%20Pointer%20-%20W10606242%20%28Basket%20Speed%20Sensor%20Fault%29.pdf?dl=0 Also check for any cracked/frayed/broken wires.

Let us know what you find.

Jake