• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MVWX655DW0 Maytag Bravos washer not spinning correctly.

J.T.

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWX655DW0
Brand
Maytag
Hi, I have a problem with my Bravos washer not spinning properly. First I'll give you a little background...about 2 weeks ago the washer had an issue where during the wash cycle it was not agitating, only going back and forth about an inch. I saw on this blog that it might be the shift actuator so I bought a replacement and a spare on Amazon. That fixed the problem and the washer was working fine for 2 weeks or so and then yesterday I noticed that it wasn't agitating properly again but it was slightly different in that it would only agitate for a second about every 4 minutes or so and wouldn't even spin out the clothes, they were soaking wet.

Once again I looked on this blog and found that again the most likely culprit was the shift actuator so I replaced it with the spare, did a test cycle of "drain and spin" which worked fine, so I finished the load of clothes successfully. My son did another load of clothes after that successfully and then on the next load we had another issue. The washer this time seemed to go through the cycles fine, although neither of us were watching it, however when it would go to spin out the clothes the center agitating hub was spinning quickly but the outer drum was only going around slowly and therefore the clothes was getting twisted together up in the middle and shifting off to one side of the drum but it would clearly not spin out.

I'm wondering if this new shift actuator is also junk as these were $27 parts made in China or if it could be the hub or some other problem. I had noticed when I changed out the actuator yesterday that the belt guard had some oil on it most likely coming from the transmission which was just replaced a year ago under extended warranty, but unfortunately there's no warranty on the machine any longer. Hoping somebody might have a likely direction for me to go before I start tearing into the machine. If the transmission is leaking oil then I may just need to get a new machine??

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi J.T.

The problem is those shift actuator from amazon, those are aftermarket ones and will not work properly on your washer.

You will need the OEM shift actuator here:
W10913953 Actuator

the belt guard had some oil on it
How much oil? a little, a lot? Oil anywhere else?

Jake

J.T.

Premium Member
Hi Jake, yeah I kind of figured the cheap thing from Amazon might be an issue. As far as the oil I didn't see any two weeks ago on the guard when I replaced the actuator then but when I looked at it last night there was oil dripping off the bottom of the guard, but I didn't actually see any on the floor underneath the washer. I had it all over my hand when I took the guard off. I'd say maybe a tablespoon amount in total.

J.T.

Premium Member
Also the oil did not seem to be slinging around anywhere else that I could see, it was just on the guard.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is odd, unless it gets worse I wouldn't worry about it.

Jake