• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MVWX655DW1 Maytag Bravos Washer - Squeaking / rubbing sound during spin

UnderStator

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWX655DW1
Brand
Maytag
MVWX655DW1 Maytag Bravos Washer. 2.5 years old.

ISSUE: Making a squeaking or rubbing sound, demonstrated in video.
VIDEO:

ADD'L INFO:
It sounds like dry rubber or plastic rubbing against something. It is cyclic / intermittent; only makes the sound at certain points of a revolution and/or at certain speeds, e.g. when it slows to a stop. It's evident in the video, just trying to describe it.
In use, the sound becomes audible as a spin cycle slows to a stop. However, after you are aware of the issue and start listening intently, you can faintly hear it while the spin cycle is at-speed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers

-----------------------------------
** You can skip this next section if you like. Just a long-winded description of how I don't know what I'm doing. **

What have I tried?
Well, virtually nothing. "I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas!" :D🤦‍♀️
But seriously, I put a 6 inch 4x4 wood block under the front cabinet. Had my wife spin it by hand while I looked underneath. Heard the noise >> watched the mechanical bits intently with my best "knowledgeable troubleshooting furrowed brow" >> did not suddenly become an appliance repair expert >> gave up.
But seriously-er, there is surely a disassembly in my future. However, I could have this thing in hundreds of pieces and still have no idea what I'm looking for. I am hoping I can start in this forum, and people with actual knowledge may guide my process of elimination.
I have read & watched two dozen forum posts & videos, but they all seem like they are not quite the same issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That sounds like the rubber tub seal rubbing on the inner tub transmission shaft. You will need to remove the wash plate and the inner tub to get to that transmission shaft,

Here's the transmission(gearcase) for your model: W11454734 Gearcase

Here's the washplate for your model:
W10902814 Washplate
whirlpool-washplate-w10902814-ap6037948_01_m.jpg

Watch this video below, he uses 2 pull hook tools to get it off:

To remove the inner tub:
You will need a lot of force to pull it out, or have someone help you pull it out. OR use a jack and 20" 2x 4.

Watch this video below, he shows you how with a jack and 20" 2x 4.

Jake

UnderStator

Premium Member
@Jake Thanks a ton for your help. I believe I understand the disassembly / reassembly.

1. What part do I need to replace? I am unclear on the diagnosis: is it the tub seal you are guessing is bad?
2. What part do I need to buy? You linked the gearcase and the washplate. Do I need both? I'm guessing the tub seal comes with one of those?

Dumb question time (apologies):
3. Is this a case where I just need the tub seal, but I have to buy an entire expensive assembly to get it? I'm assuming the tub seal is not available for purchase separately because you didn't link it. And because the diagrams don't even label it; they only label the parts that can be purchased.
4. Assembly video calls for greasing the ID of the tub seal. Any chance I can mitigate my issue by re-greasing the inner tub seal? Again, I'm assuming you would have said so if that was the case.
5. When I get in there, am I looking for any specific condition of the tub seal to confirm it's the problem? Also, if you answered "yes" to #4, is there anything I'm looking for with the tub seal to determine if it's past the point of re-greasing and needs to be replaced?

Sorry for the 20 questions. I really appreciate any help.
Cheers

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On this model you CAN'T get the tub seal separately, you'd need to order the complete gearcase assembly to get it.

4. Assembly video calls for greasing the ID of the tub seal. Any chance I can mitigate my issue by re-greasing the inner tub seal? Again, I'm assuming you would have said so if that was the case.
Yes, I was thinking you can try that first before ordering the new gearcase assembly.

5. When I get in there, am I looking for any specific condition of the tub seal to confirm it's the problem? Also, if you answered "yes" to #4, is there anything I'm looking for with the tub seal to determine if it's past the point of re-greasing and needs to be replaced?
If it looks like its rubbing on something making a wear path in it, that will soon start to make it leak.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

UnderStator

Premium Member
Alright @Jake getting dangerously close here. Reminder: I'm going to try silicone greasing my tub seal to eliminate a squeaky spin.
I've disassembled it as far as the pictures show, and I have run into a few uncertainties.

1. I have assumed I will be greasing the tub seal inner diameter (where it interfaces with the shaft) from the top. Would you agree? Or would you be trying to access it & grease it from the bottom?
2. Should this thick metal washer come off the tub seal with some careful prying? This is the first step I have encountered that I haven't watched someone do in a video.
3. I'm realizing that I won't be able to actually get grease between the tub seal and the shaft. It's literally an air-tight clearance. What would your plan be? (A) Pack the top of the I.D. of the tub seal as best you can? (B) Completely remove the tub seal from the shaft >> grease >> reinstall? (C) Other? Crossing my fingers you don't say "B" 🤞

You're a hero, mate. I really appreciate it.

Also, holy s*** that washplate was hard to get off! Props & respect to you and your colleagues. Ask me how many times I thought, "THIS is why you pay a professional"! 🤦‍♀️

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
1. I have assumed I will be greasing the tub seal inner diameter (where it interfaces with the shaft) from the top. Would you agree?
Bingo!

3. I'm realizing that I won't be able to actually get grease between the tub seal and the shaft. It's literally an air-tight clearance. What would your plan be? (A) Pack the top of the I.D. of the tub seal as best you can? (B) Completely remove the tub seal from the shaft >> grease >> reinstall? (C) Other? Crossing my fingers you don't say "B" 🤞
A.

Jake