FIXED MVWX655DW1 Maytag Bravos won't agitate

bfontenot

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWX655DW1
Brand
Maytag
Washer won't agitate but spins well MOST of the time. Sometimes we have really wet clothes after the wash is complete. I've been reading lots of the forum posts and decided to begin with replacing the washer hub. Upon inspecting the old one, it didn't look that bad but the spindle shaft looked worn. After replacing the hub, the result was the same. The worn area on the lower spines was from the plastic clip from the original hub. Not sure if that was the way it was designed to be installed but to me it looks like the clip should fit above the spines.

I inspected the belt as well and it appears to be fine. What should my next course of action be?

hub.jpg

spindle.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, I see your transmission shaft, that's the problem, its rusted and broken. You will need to replace the transmission as well.

Here's the transmission(gearcase) for your model you can order:
W11035751 Gearcase

Here's the video that shows how to replace it here: Transmission Replacement Video

The only difference in that video is your model has the washplate and the plastic tub hub, the rest should be about the same.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

bfontenot

Premium Member
I pulled the splutch to inspect as well. It appears ok but there was some grease on the spring and center piece. Is the transmission something that Maytag would warranty since it's only 2 yrs old? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You have a 2nd through 10th year warranty on the Drive Motor and Wash Basket Only. Unfortunately, not the transmission.

The warranty is on Page 17 here:

Jake

bfontenot

Premium Member
Just replaced the transmission and still getting just a small twitch back and forth for the agitate mode. Also, the lid lock light is not on anymore. I went through the recalibration before starting up. I just don't know at this point.

bfontenot

Premium Member
The wash basket spins fine, its the wash plate that has little to no movement. I went through the test modes and it completes successfully but there is clearly no agitation. There are no error codes to report.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, You will need to order a new washplate as well.

Here's the washplate for your model:
W10902814 Washplate

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, when the shift actuator is bad it won't spin at all.

With the waterplate off does the transmission shaft turn back and forth fine in the wash cycle?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I'm going to need to see a video of this happening, record a video with your android or iphone, then upload it here.

Jake

bfontenot

Premium Member
Here is a video of the heavy agitation mode. Washplate Shaft doesn't turn independently of the washbasket. The crunching noise is my dog eating in the background, lol.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very weird, I've never seen that happen before, the transmission shaft should be moving back and forth only, not the inner tub assembly.

Take the inner tub out and see if the transmission shaft moves on its own by itself back and forth only.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes I see, only the upper agitator shaft should be moving back and forth in the wash cycle.

Either the transmission is defective or you didn't install the splutch cam kit/and or shift actuator back together properly.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

This is how it works. Click to enlarge the images below.

2019-09-27.png
2019-09-27 (1).png

Splutch – The splutch is made up of five parts; a spring, housing, cam ring, basket drive gear and pulley. The pulley is connected to the agitator through the agitator shaft. The agitator always moves with the pulley.

Turn your transmission pulley and the agitator only should move when you turn the transmission pulley.

Jake

BillyWonka

Premium Member
Also, where did you get the technician manual? Finding a service tech manual is like seeking the wisdom of the Ancients!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Billy,

Please start your own thread with your model number. The model tag is located inside the lid.

Jake