• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED MVWX655DW1 Maytag Washer won’t drain doesn’t seem to be clogged

Jlhuff21

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWX655DW1
Brand
Maytag
I have had this washer for about 3-4 years. It works fine till it comes to drain. It makes a kind of grinding sound (which it always has) but only for a few seconds then water begins to flow through the drain hose. Now it makes the grinding noise but won’t move any water no matter how long it tries.

I’ve pulled the wall end of the drain hose and hooked my wet/dry vac to it to drain the water out and it pulls it out no problem. I’ve unhooked both the drain hose and the small hose from the tub to the pump and both seem clear. Where the small hose attaches to the tub there’s a white cone with fins kinda blocking the hole. I’ve pushed it to the side and checked for obstructions and can’t find anything. I have debated pulling the inner tub out to look for anything stuck underneath but it seems like a long process and might break something else. I pulled the bolt out of the agitator and couldn’t get it loose from the splines so I just put it back together. I’ve also uncovered the back of the control panel and checked the pressure hose. There was some water in the tub when I did this but blowing on it I didn’t have to blow hard and heard bubbles.

I have looked at the error codes and there’s a “f9e1 long drain” and a “f2e1 stuck key” also a “f0e2 over suds”

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Jlhuff21

Premium Member
I forgot to mention. When the pump keeps trying to drain. If I unplug the washer overnight then plug it back in in the morning it will usually start draining on it’s own then try to rewash and it starts grinding and won’t drain.

Jlhuff21

Premium Member
The plot thickens!

I have now removed the inner tub and nothing is blocking the pump filter either. I’ve also tested the wiring and connectors with a multimeter and they all are ok. The only thing I can think of is if the pump has some kind of teeth or splines inside that are broken or worn. Our machine has made this noise when the pump comes on since we got it but it’s never been this loud. The sound also stops as soon as water starts flowing. If anyone can confirm or deny I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, it sounds like your drain pump itself is the problem.

Remove the drain pump and check to see if something is stuck/jammed inside it also look inside it with a flashlight and see if the fins on the impeller are broken, if not then its likely the drain pump bearing that has gone bad, thus the grinding noise you've also been hearing.

Watch this video to remove it:

Get a bunch of old towels to soak up water that will come out. Or you can use hose pinch-off pliers to keep the water from flooding out.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
W10876600 Pump-Water

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jlhuff21

Premium Member
Just installed the part. The washer isn’t making that noise it always has and seems to be draining perfectly. Thanks for the advice!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new drain pump fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake