MVWX655DW1 Won't spin, lid lock fault

Zach Button

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWX655DW1
Brand
Maytag
My washer is just over a year old.

A while back it started failing to enter spin cycle. The door would click a few times, then it would stop. I searched around and figured out how to enter diagnostics mode. I was getting F5E1 and F5E2.

So I ordered a new lid switch/lock assembly and a strike. After replacing both of them and resetting the codes, it still won't enter spin cycle.

The door doesn't even click like it was. The door lock light doesn't blink. Nothing I'm consistently getting F5E2 now, and no other codes.

If I do manual testing and do the lid lock test, it does nothing when I press start. Nothing at all. No blinking lights, nothing. If I press start again, all lights flash.

If I do automatic test, it hangs on the door lock test. It lights up 'done' to indicate that it's on the door lock test, but then sits there indefinitely. No flashing lights, no clicks, it just sits there. If I manually skip it by pressing start, then it moves on and does the other tests just fine. Fills, drains, agitates, spins, the works.

On the normal wash cycle, it fills and agitates. It even detects whether the door is open or not. I open the door, it pauses. Close the door, it continues. Then it drains. But when the spin cycle should start, what ever light was on (sensing or wash, I don't remember) goes from solid on to flashing. Nothing else happens.

No activity from lid locked light whatsoever. It never turns on, and never blinks. Nothing. I've nearly forgotten what color it is.

I'm not sure what's going on. The lock switch and strike are brand new.

At this point I'm grasping at straws. I double checked all the screws on the back in case one was loose and causing a poor ground. I'm thinking about taking it apart again to make sure the lid lock wasn't installed incorrectly and the solenoid isn't bound up or something. Tomorrow I might be pulling out my multimeter.

What are the odds that the lock I bought is just DOA?

I could really use some guidance.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Access the main control board and remove the J15 connector. Measure the resistance between the following wires in the connector-

Lock Switch Solenoid: J15-1 to J15-3 = 85Ω - 155Ω

Lock Switch: J15-3 to J15-4 = Locked: 0Ω.... Unlocked: Open Circuit

Lid Switch: J15-2 to J15-3 = Lid closed: 0Ω.....Open: Open circuit

If the resistance values are correct here's the part you need:
Control Board W11116592
whirlpool-cntrl-elec-w11116592-ap6261034_02_m.jpg

Zach Button

Premium Member
That site says it's not compatible with MVWX655DW1.

Also, the assembly in my washer has 3 wires, not 4.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's the only part number that comes up for that model number. I checked several places.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member