• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MVWX655DW2 Maytag Bravos Washer Motor Fault

WyJeff

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWX655DW2
Brand
Maytag
Maytag MVWX655DW2
Less than one year old (under warranty, but no service available)

Washer has developed very weak agitation, tub barely moves at all, and .often won't agitate or spin, I'll have to restart it to get it to spin.

Ran diagnostic tests from tech sheet I found online (but doesn't seem to specify exact model numbers). Ended up with what appears to be a Motor Fault error.

When I run manual agitation tests tub seems to barely move counterclockwise, if at all.

So, as the Tech Sheet says, would appear to indicate an open counterclockwise circuit of the motor.

No obvious loose connections.

I have a high impedance multimeter I'm willing to use, but not sure I have the exact circuit board and connectors as on the tech sheet (for instance the sheet refers to J16, and all I can find is J6).

It is under warranty as I bought it last Oct.

Contacted Whirlpool/Maytag yesterday.

Today received email from them stating in part:

We apologize for the delay in locating service. You are welcome to contact the service company of your choice. We ask that you pay the service technician for the labor and send in the invoice for up to $150 reimbursement for any functional failure. Please send the invoice to Resource@Whirlpool.com or fax to 877-231-8584 for review. Additionally, please add the following reference number on the receipt (SR# XXXXXXXXXX), along with your name, phone number, and the model and the serial number of the appliance.

We are also going to cover the cost of the part(s). We do ask that you call our Customer eXperience Center toll free at 1-800-253-1301 anytime Monday & Tuesday 8 AM - 8 PM and Wednesday through Friday 9 AM - 7 PM, with the part number(s) needed for the repair. Upon receipt of your phone call with the requested information, we will send you the part(s) needed at no charge. Once your service invoice is reviewed, your reimbursement will be processed.

So I guess my other question would be does anyone have any experience getting Maytag to cover the warranty doing it yourself? I mainly just care about the parts being covered. Would being talked through by an online technician count?

Thank you

Last edited:

Robert4

Premium Member
I would think that if you work on it yourself you would invalidate the warranty. Did they say anything about allowing you to do it yourself?

WyJeff

Premium Member
I would think that if you work on it yourself you would invalidate the warranty. Did they say anything about allowing you to do it yourself?
Thanks for the reply.

Basically they just said what I quoted above. If they can't provide service it would seem that it is on them.

Still willing to troubleshoot to find the problem and then go from there.

Robert4

Premium Member
Did they say why they can't provide service?

What tech sheet were you using? I think the one for your model is W11348497.

WyJeff

Premium Member
Did they say why they can't provide service?

What tech sheet were you using? I think the one for your model is W11348497.
I live in a very rural area. They have no Whirlpool/Maytag technicians in the area. They supposedly looked for other certified techs for referral, but apparently were unable to locate any. I'm not having much luck so far either.

(Unfortunately when I bought the washer I was fairly desperate when my 20-some year old Hotpoint died and had little to no selection.)

The tech sheet I'm using is W10240504B. I'll look for the other one. Or do you have a link off hand? Thanks!

WyJeff

Premium Member
Thanks for your time and effort Robert. But after another lengthy phone call on hold, they won't authorize me to work on it, and as they won't fix it either, they will do an exchange.

Still interested in the correct tech sheet for that model for future (out of warranty at least) repair.

Thanks again for the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching the tech. data sheet for your model below. In diagnostics put it in FAULT CODE DISPLAY MODE and see what error code you are getting.

Yes, correct, if its under warranty that only let local appliance repair companies work on it, I live in and run my appliance repair company in rural Arizona and have had many customers contact me and pay me, then Whirlpool/Maytag reimburses them.

So if you or they can't find a local appliance repair company they will exchange the washer, so let them exchange the washer for you while its under warranty.

Did this problem start after you had a power outage?

In rural areas I always recommend a whole home surge protector.

Surges do damage by hunting for earth ground destructively via appliances. A surge connected to earth by a 'whole house' protector doesn't go hunting for earth destructive via any appliance.

My whole home surge protector is outside where the main electric meter and breaker box are located, it sends the surge directly to earth ground outside before it comes into the house.

Here's the whole home surge protector my electrician installed on my house: Stabl-Power Series 1

Find a licensed electrician in your area to install this for you.:)

Jake

Attachments

• tech-sheet-w11420432-reva.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 48

WyJeff

Premium Member
Thanks! I believe that's what I was looking for. I'm getting the Motor Fault error code.

They are going to do an exchange, so I'll leave it alone and try not to void my warranty.

I'm not aware of any power outages recently, particularly not while the machine was running.

I did buy a 4,500j surge protector specifically for the washer when I bought it, but I will look into a whole house protector, sounds like a really good idea.

I have considered unplugging the washer when not in use. Is this a good idea, or am I more likely to do damage by plugging and unplugging all the time?

Thanks for the info and your time!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have considered unplugging the washer when not in use. Is this a good idea, or am I more likely to do damage by plugging and unplugging all the time?
No, its not a good idea to unplug the washer after each use.

Now if your going on vacation, then sure its fine to unplug it, until you come back from vacation.:)

Jake

WyJeff

Premium Member
Well, I guess it's academic now as the machine is gone, and maybe I shouldn't revive this thread, but an update for those kind enough to help, specifically Robert4 and Jake. Thanks!

While I was waiting for the replacement machine, the symptoms seemed to change somewhat. I cleared the "motor fault" trouble code, and last I checked it never came back. The agitation seemed to work fine on manual test mode, however when ever I attempted to wash any clothes, no matter how light, it would not agitate, the tub would only very slightly move, and I would hear a clicking noise as it was trying to agitate (shifter, actuator, whatever?). Also the water level sensing wouldn't work, I'm assuming because the tub wasn't moving as needed to sense the level, so it would actually keep filling until I stopped it. The spin cycle would still work, at least when I set it manually. So I would do a wash of sorts by letting the tub fill as full as I wanted, unplug the machine and let everything soak for however long, and occasionally swishing everything around by hand, setting it to spin, and then repeat for the rinse. (Obviously I'll do about anything other than go to a laundromat :) ).

Apparently this model had been discontinued, so they offered me another model at the same price point. I asked for their "Commercial-Grade" washer instead and agreed to split the difference in price. I wanted something that would last longer than eight months at least.

Dealing with Whirlpool support is a whole 'nother matter, and it's a long story. But in short the "Commercial-Grade" upgrade I paid for never showed whether the fault of Whirlpool or the transport company. As of today I have my refund, and the matter is finally closed. I'll avoid editorializing about what I see as the destruction of once great American icons. I know other's experiences and expectations may differ.

My replacement machine is a Speed Queen TC5. More than ever now I want a machine that will last and that is worth repairing if needed, and that I have a good chance of repairing as I don't think Speed Queen technicians are any more bountiful here than Whirlpool's. Just hope you are still here to help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the update!

Speed Queen is much better built than Whirlpool and Maytag.

Jake