MVWX700XW Maytag Washer: Loud Grinding Noise / Smell Plastic

akak

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWX700XW
Brand
Maytag
On a 13 minute Drain and Spin cycle, everything (Draining and spinning) seems fine. It spins normal, the pump is draining the water. Then at the start of minute 7, a LOUD grinding starts as the tub spins. Here is a video:

Then about 40 seconds later the spinning and grinding slows down and the grinding just stops, but the tub spins normal. Here is another video of that:

Then I can smell something like burning plastic.

Any help on fixing, parts, or if it is worth fixing or requires a skilled repairman to fix, please let me know.
Thanks!

-Akak

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Akak,

Yes, That's the transmission bearing that has gone bad and making that noise.

Here's the transmission for your model you can order:
W11132267 Gearcase

You will also need to order the spanner wrench as well: Spanner Wrench That removes the inner tub nut.

I'll post a couple videos that should help you disassemble it if you decide to fix it yourself.

Here's the video to lift the top up and removing the tub top ring: Whirlpool/Kenmore Top-Load Washer Disassembly

Your model has a wash plate instead of a normal agitator. Here's the video for the wash plate and inner tub nut removal: W10324651 and Video

Jake

akak

Premium Member
Excellent! Thanks Jake for the help. I already have the spanning wrench from recently replacing the massively corroded basket block kit.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Akak, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake