• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

MW8991SB Microwave Door Switch question

kfw01

Premium Member
Model Number
MW8991SB
Brand
Hi,

Have what I hope is an easy question. Am troubleshooting my Emerson microwave (light comes on, timer counts down, but no fan/noise, doesn't heat). As near as I can tell it's a door switch problem, seems fairly common.

Accessed my door switches (3 of them, part #5E4 10T105, KW3A) and tried continuity test w/ multimeter. All seem to be the exact same part, but with 2 of them, get no continuity signal unless I press down on the activator button (which is expected if i'm understanding how it works correctly...switch in normally closed mode, button gets pressed by door latch, allowing switch to open and power to flow).

But on the 3rd switch, I get the continuity tone on the meter before I press down on the switch, and no continuity when I do press on the switch. Is this my bad switch? Not sure why this behavior would be opposite of the other 2 where it appears to be the exact same switch. I know one of these switches gets installed upside down relative to the other two, but assuming the functioning of the switch should be the same no matter. Was expecting no continuity either way if the switch was bad.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

kfw01

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. So do I understand then those switches are all working correctly and this is another issue causing my problem? Or will replacing the switches potentially fix it?

Thanks.

jeff1

Staff member
So do I understand then those switches are all working correctly and this is another issue causing my problem?
Yes or you haven't checked them fully ( continuity is just one way ).

jeff.

kfw01

Premium Member
Microwave door switch question

One last question before I give up and just buy a new one!

(fairly mechanically inclined, but have never worked on a microwave/micro-switches before...am taking all precautions, unplugging/discharging capacitor etc)

So I found a bad microswitch (opened it up, and see corrosion...can see how when pressing the switch it does not work properly). The only problem is, that I don't remember which switch it was (had taken all 3 out to test and didn't note which went where...initially thought they were all the same). I bought an identical replacement switch to the one that is corroded, but when I reinstall, the 20amp fuse where the power comes into to microwave keeps blowing. Would this be due to switches being installed incorrectly? Or should it still work, but in the opposite way it was intended?

Guessing my ultimate question would be which type of switch (normally open/normally closed) goes into which location (have primary up top, monitor in the middle, and secondary at the bottom).

And a question about switches in general...identifying normally open vs closed. Is where the terminal comes out of the switch the indicator of if it being normally open or closed (see picture, is the top switch in the picture a normally open one, and the bottom a normally closed one?).

Thanks again for the help.
Hoping if I just figure out which switch to put into which location this will correct the issue for me.

switches.jpg

jeff1

Staff member
Normally I see the upper one in your pic in the top and bottom spots and the lower one in your pic in the middle spot.

2 should open and 1 close when the door is opened.
2 should close and 1 open when the door is closed.

jeff.