My Kenmore Elite really won't give me a break - 110.63932102 - Wrinkle Guard forever

shai

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My Kenmore dryer won't give me a break. Started with a belt in April, hold-start-button in June, bad relay in July, and now it is stuck in wrinkle-guard more forever. The wrinkle-guard is about an hour long of the dryer turns for a few seconds every 5 minutes or so and it stops after an hour. Well, mine won't stop, it is 'stuck' in the final wrinkle-free position until I open the door or turn the dial manually.
What the heck? How come so many parts are giving up on me in such a short time?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What the heck? How come so many parts are giving up on me in such a short time?
Because you bought the evenheat model which was a huge disaster and they no longer make anymore.

Its likely a bad control board, that controls the wrinkle-free option. From your other post you said you didn't buy it from the link I posted and saved $100, so now you have two choices, order it from the link I post and you get a 365 full refund warranty on it, or buy a new dryer.

Here's the even heat control board for your model:
Manufacturer part number W10116565 is RepairClinic item number 1378522
W10116565

Watch this video to get access to it:

<iframe id="yui-gen40" class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HyFqt8gS2RA?wmode=opaque" frameBorder="0" width="640"></iframe>

Jake

shai

Premium Member
Is there no way to troubleshoot what the problem is? Are you 100% sure it's the board? Because in another post you suggested that the timer was bad.

With all due respect, it appears that - even though you denied it - everything here is about buying the parts from this particular source, which is even more expensive than Sears parts itself. Last time you claimed the same thing, blaming my cheap board, and it was proven that it wasn't the board, it was the relay.
So I understand the desire to sell parts, but I thought this forum is about troubleshooting a problem. People are becoming "premium" members so that they could get help, not to buy parts from a specifix source.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That timer is for a non evenheat model, there is no way to diagnose this issue as far as I know.

The reason I always recommend buying parts from our suppliers is because they have the best return refund policy/warranty in the industry, 365 day part return full refund/exchange installed or not, which Sears does not have, yes some parts may be a little more expensive but not all.

But wouldn't you rather have peace of mind knowing about the 365 day return full refund/warranty exchange policy? Rather than buying the part cheaper then your on your own?

Jake

shai

Premium Member
Everyone wants peace of mind, but when you look at the same part with such a difference in price (and I keep bringing Sears Parts all the time, because they are not known to be on the 'cheap side', to say the least), then you have to ask yourself "why spending $170 on the same part that cost $70, when I can get a new dryer for $500". I guarantee you that most of this board users would chose the cheaper board (with such a price difference; I am not talking about $20 part vs. $28). That's the purpose of this forum - for people who want to spend as little as possible fixing their appliance when they're out of warranty.
The point is - the fact that I bought it cheap(er) does not mean that it is bad, just like in the last time where you were confident that it was the cheap board and it turned out to be a relay.

In any event, I was just hoping that there is a way to troubleshoot this specific problem.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your only generalizing this part as cheaper, many thousands of other parts for other appliances are cheaper than Sears.

And you need to re-read your thread, the first 10 posts:
http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/sears-kenmore/32330-kenmore-electric-dryer-110-63932102-need-hold-start-button.html

I told you exactly how to test to make sure it was either the board or relay, and you said the board fixed it, did you not?

Jake,

Quick note: Got the new board and the dryer is working fine now. Thanks again.
Then you came back a MONTH later saying you had the same issue, its rare for the board and relay to go south in close proximity like that. Thats why I questioned your board purchase.

So the fact is you did need the board and relay both to fix this issue.

Jake

shai

Premium Member
Your only generalizing this part as cheaper, many thousands of other parts for other appliances are cheaper than Sears.
Yes, I was referring to this part in particular because that's what I needed at the time and the price difference didn't make sense.

So the fact is you did need the board and relay both to fix this issue.

Jake
This is correct, I never said I didn't need both parts, but your initial response back then was (and I am paraphrasing, it is not your quote word by word ;)) "yes, it stopped working again because the board that you bought is not from us and there is no guarantee, it's a cheap board". At the end of the day there was nothing wrong with the board, it was a relay that went south - indeed in close proximity to the board. I bought a Kenmore, I guess I have to live with it until I replace it.

My point is - it seems to be very easy to 'blame' a part that was not purchased through this site and it's not necessarily the case. We are all coming here to get help troubleshooting a problem and get a replacement part.

So, is there a way to try and troubleshoot this issue (other than replacing the board again, regardless of where I buy it...?! :) because I can buy it from this honorable site and there is still no guarantee that nothing else won't go south a week later, I'll just have to wait for a free replacement)?

Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, in hast I said that, and I apologize, but I've seen so many people get burned by getting the board elsewhere.

At the end of the day there was nothing wrong with the board, it was a relay that went south
Just to clarify, there was nothing wrong with the board you purchased for that problem, but the original board that came with the machine was bad.

Like I said, there is no way I'm aware of to test that board for your current issue now, unless another tech. knows and can post here to assist you.

Jake

shai

Premium Member
I understand.
Re the original board - it held up 8 years ;)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, 8 Years is fairly good compared to some that only went a few years.

Jake