• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

My KitchenAid Refrigerator KBFO42FTX02 will not start

cvigeant

Premium Member
Model Number
KBFO42FTX02
Brand
KitchenAid
My Kitchen Aid Refrigerator model #KBFO42FTX02 was making a humming sound so I turned off the power for 30 seconds and turned it back on. Except it never came back on. I read the manual and tried running through the diagnostic. When it gets to the evaporator fan(Step 3), it exits out of the diagnostic mode. I tried this several times with the same result.

I was able to skip this step by clicking the "UP" button twice when it is on step 2. All the remaining steps have a positive code. I removed the freezer door and evaporator cover and the evaporator fan starts for 1 second before stopping. What are the next steps to troubleshoot this issue?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Sounds like your control board went out. Disconnect the power to your refrigerator, then get access to the control board, on built-in models its on top.

Then get a flashlight and see if you notice any bulging capacitors on it, or any burnt components on it. If so that's the culprit.

The original control board is no longer available, but there is a service kit KitchenAid told us to replace the original control board with.

Here it is for your model:

Jake

cvigeant

Premium Member
Update: I cannot find anything burnt or bulging capacitors on the control board. I opened the freezer panel on the bottom so I could get to the evaporator fan. I unplugged the electrical wires from the fan and then ran the diagnostic again. Without the evaporator fan connected, I am able to run through all 12 diagnostic tests. Also when I try to start the refrigerator the condenser starts and stays on without issues. I just hear a hum from the freezer area. Is there any way to test the evaporator fan?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes,

Disconnect the electrical connector that goes to your evaporator fan motor, then put your meter leads in the electrical connector and see if you get 12 volts DC. You can leave the door open and watch your meter.:)

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model:
W10822580

Jake

cvigeant

Premium Member
I checked the voltage coming in and the continuity of the evaporator fan and it all checks out. While it was all apart with the freezer door off I tried starting refrigerator and everything started including the evaporator fan. I was feeling cool air. Once I put everything back together it will not start again. I ran the diagnosis on again and it fails at the evaporator step again.(Step 3) Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It must be a intermittent problem then, check it again when its not running.

Jake

cvigeant

Premium Member
I tried testing the voltage and continuity again and they look fine. I also tried starting 5 times and keeps failing. Is there anything that controls the starting of the evaporator fan? Relays, switches etc?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just the main control board I posted the link to in post #2 above.

Jake