• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED My Whirlpool Refrigerator GC3NHAXVY01 condenser fan kicks on and off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gump66

Premium Member
Model Number
GC3NHAXVY01
Brand
Whirlpool
My Whirlpool side by side refrigerator seems to be cooling fine but the condenser fan kicks on and off at very short intervals. The coils have been cleaned with compressed air and I replaced the condenser fan motor, thinking that was the problem. It does exactly what the old one did. I am guessing possibly the control board or the compressor inverter. Any ideas?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Gump66

Premium Member
Thank you for replying but when I put in my model number GC3NHAXVY01, it says this part is not compatible. I know that there is also a W10823804 but I've seen that is also not compatible with my model.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
W10823803 is compatible for your model. AppliancePartsPros Compatibility Tool is not always up to date.

RepairClinic has the most up to date Compatibility Tool and I just confirmed it does work in your model:

Jake

Gump66

Premium Member
W10823803 is compatible for your model. AppliancePartsPros Compatibility Tool is not always up to date.

RepairClinic has the most up to date Compatibility Tool and I just confirmed it does work in your model:

Jake
OK. Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.(y)

Jake

Gump66

Premium Member
Got the replacement part that you specified and it fit perfectly. Very easy to replace and the directions were spot on. I did have a little issue with it running quite a bit and the freezer got way too cold but I unplugged it for a couple hours and it seems to be ok now. Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new control board service kit fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Gump66

Premium Member
After I put in the new control board service kit every thing seemed to be working fine. No more condenser fan kicking on and off. However, now my refrigerator side is getting too cold, down around 33. I put a separate thermometer in there to make sure and it also registers the same. The freezer side seems fine. I took the damper out, thinking that may be the problem. I can move the flapper but now sure how to test it. I did not have any issue with temperature control before putting in the control board service kit, just condenser fan issues. I have unplugged it several times and left it off for a couple hours, thinking maybe it needed to reset but no difference. Any suggestions?

rickgburton

Staff member
refrigerator side is getting too cold, down around 33.
Try setting the control to a warmer setting. Normal is 34° - 37° so you're only 1° off.

Gump66

Premium Member
I've done that. Tried to set it numerous times. I just looked and the fridge is at 29. The temperature setting is on 45 and the freezer setting is at 4. I think my manual said that default settings are 40 and 0. I closed the damper door manually yesterday before putting it back in and it seemed to be ok for awhile but apparently the door opened again and does not close. I can constantly feel cold air blowing from the freezer when I put my hand up to the damper.

Gump66

Premium Member
There wasn't some sort of reset procedure that need to be done after installing the circuit board service kit was there?

rickgburton

Staff member
Measure the resistance of the FF compartment thermistor At room temp (77°) it should be 2.7K Ω

I was able to locate the tech sheet. Go into service mode and check the damper. You can also check the thermistors is service mode.

Attachments

• GC3NHAXVY01-tech sheet.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 56

Gump66

Premium Member
Thank you so much. I will get back to you after trying this. Just got into the diagnostic mode and everything checks out ok except the evaporator fan motor gave me a 2 instead of a 1 but it looks like this has to be a visual check, I guess to see if the fan is running. It just shows that the damper door is open but could it be that it is not closing properly?

rickgburton

Staff member

Gump66

Premium Member
I took out the damper and watched it while I pressed the code number in service mode. I could feel the motor trying to turn it but it just vibrated. Since I like to tinker with things, I opened it up and the little plastic gears were stripped off.

I replaced the damper WP2220377 and the FF thermistor WP2188820 just for the heck of it. Refrigerator seems to be doing ok now and at least not freezing the FF now. It is staying at about 37 even though I do have the setting at 46. If it stays at that, I'm good.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.